Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #1 
gargleknobs

Looking to buy a filter

I have a new 5 gallon tank coming in the mail within the next two days. I'm shopping for filters right now, and I want to know what I should get if I want to cycle my tank. I have absolutely no knowledge of filters, and while I would prefer to stay on the less expensive end of the spectrum, I don't want to buy a cheap piece of crap.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
gargleknobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #2 
Kwomais

I got this one
http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-A285-Mar.../dp/B0032G8TPW
and love it! The flow is totally adjustable, it's SILENT (Alpha's tank is in my room so that was a must), and it's really cheap! It also comes with a prefilter sponge on the intake which makes it great for bettas and also for my little shrimpies. And it's really well, slim! I have 2inches of clearance behind my tank and the filter fits there. It's about the size of an average toothpaste box for width & length; height-wise, I'd say it's about 6inches? idk, I'm not good at guesstimating size lol. It comes with a goldfish bag & a tropical fish (carbon) bag that can be replaced with the Tetra Whisper small biobags, and/or you can put filter sponge in there to colonize your BB. Oh! And the intake is adjustable inside t he tank so you can raise or lower it according to your tank size. And if you have/sign up for the 1 month trial of Amazon Prime, you get free shipping!

As you can probably tell, I reeeeeeeeeally like this filter. I went through about 4 filters before I got this one which I kept.
Kwomais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #3 
bimbetty

Fluval
bimbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #4 
gargleknobs

I was actually looking into buying the Marina one. Now I will! Thank you. :)
gargleknobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #5 
Kwomais

You're welcome! Glad I could help!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #6 
pittipuppylove

I second the Slim s10 - it's great little filter. I currently have three and they work very well, but I don't use the filter media it comes with without removing the carbon and whatever else they put in there and replacing it with filter floss.
Posted via Mobile Device
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #7 
Kwomais

I just replaced my cartridge with sponges and use it as a biofilter :)
Old 02-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

is it true the motor sits inside the water?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:27 PM   #9 
Kwomais

Yes, but I've had no problems with it. I inspected it for any signs of damage/manufacturers' defect before I put it in the water because I was a little skeptical. In the end, I thought, if a submersible heater is safe, this has to be safe. I was a little concerned that vibrations might bug my boy but it vibrates waaaaaay less than the airpump I had on his tank for his Whisper 3i before that.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:13 AM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

Ive always had a hugggge dislike for airpumps too...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote