Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #1 
Bungertswife

Betta size question here

Alright, so I have 3 bettas all in separate setups. 1 male veil tail that is large (not named yet but his coloring is like a whiteish blue color with blues, and greens and a mostly black face), 1 male crown tail (name is pearl he is a white color but has been turning hsi body to a purpleish blue color GORGEOUS with some different color blues and purple in his tail) and 1 female plakat betta that is a orange color. She is full of eggs.

No name is slightly larger than Peach, and Pearl is a fair size smaller than her. However, No name has stopped blowing a nest (doesn't really have one made or hardly started) and been focusing more on her and flaring at her when he sees her...HOWEVER now Pearl has gone from not blowing a nest to blowing them off and on but hes getting a decent one made for just starting not that long ago and he doesn't have any view of Peach.

If Pearl is smaller than Peach, will he be able to breed with her? Or should I still try to get No Name to build a nest and breed with her? Any ideas. Will try to upload pics later.
Bungertswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Body size only (without fins), slightly smaller (about half cm) male can embrace the female. But too small may not be able to fertilize eggs. It's always a good idea to use bigger male. So I'd pair the VT to the PK

Make sure you have a goal and a plan, specially with your collection (mixing fin types isn't advised unless you have a goal/plan).

Good luck.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #3 
Bungertswife

Name:  2013-01-30_10.19.02.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  26.6 KB

Name:  2013-01-30_10.18.24.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  49.2 KB

Name:  2013-01-30_10.17.15.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  30.0 KB

The orange is my female, white veil tail male and white crown tail male....Veil tail best even without a nest going?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Your female looks like a VT.

I don't rely on nests but on their swimming behavior/pattern. As long as they flirt swim - all over the tank in a wriggling/"S" style (both male and female), they will breed. But if they're flaring head on, holding their position, they will fight. (look at youtube videos on fighting and breeding and compare their swimming)

You may want to keep them from each others sight. Only let them see each other for a few minutes at a time. When you're ready to breed, then float the female in the breeding tank for a day or two (for first time females). I release the female in the late afternoon, just before dark with no extra lighting (I often cover my breeding tubs). They usually spawn the following morning (first time females may take longer).
Old 01-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #5 
Bungertswife

Thanks, I was told she was a plakat by my local breeder. Then like with the smaller one, he would glare at her and she would go and put her head down towards him but when they were together they never made a nest and she just stayed at the bottom of the setup and he would blow a few bubbles or just swim and flare at her but never really attacked her. Where as the veil tail, he has not been with her yet in the tank but he has blown some bubbles (doing it now) and will go flare at her but she doesn't go head down for him. And like his body motion for swimming is he seems a little jerky. Like he is swimming but kinda swivels his body (the best I can describe it as) but then goes back to swimming regularly. How big does a female have to be to breed? Theres a few my breeder is selling that are 2" and I am interested in maybe getting one of them
Old 01-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

2" including fins? That sounds fully grown so you should be able to breed them. Many of my females are only 3cm/+1" (body only)
Old 01-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #7 
Bungertswife

Yes they are 2" including the fins. Gorgeous too, they are like a cream white with red fins
Old 01-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Cream white with red fins is called "cambodian". Your collection has cambodian genes in them so you should get lot of red cambodians, some with rather blueish body. You will probably also get colors like your CT and cellophane.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #9 
Bungertswife

Dont have her yet but thinking about getting her next time I am there. If I breed my current female with my veil tail male...what colors would I possibly get vs the crown tail male? He is seeming more interested in her than the other one...From the pictures, do you think that they would have a successful and fertile spawn?