Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #1 
Kbud

Slightly Cloudy Water?

Hi all!

This morning I noticed that my new tank - a 1 gallon tetra hexagonal one with colored LEDs, is a bit cloudy.

Considering the tank is only two days old, it seems weird to think it is dirty already. I could have tried to take a picture, but it wouldn't show up. It is just cloudy enough to drive me nuts. Do I need to get a cleaner or snail, or is it just dust that got in the tank that is constantly moving and doesn't get filtered. If I do need a cleaner or snail, which species would you recommend for a small 1 gallon aquarium that doesn't divide into millions when it wants to?

I had a snail outbreak once, it was an APOCALYPSE!

Here is some info that may be needed

Plants: 2 small elodea cuttings I am trying to root

Filter: Yes - Tetra Bio-Bag series "Small"

Fish: 1 male betta

Age of tank: 2 Days!!!!

Bubbler: yes

Thanks so much:
Kbud
Kbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #2 
bettaisbetter

It's probably just a bacterial bloom. :) It's just the start of your nitrogen cycle... Read about it here. I don't recommend filters for anything below 2G. I think it's better for you to lose the aeration and filter, it's not mandatory for a tank so small. The cycle would be a little unstable, too. Nothing can go in a 1G with a betta. It's too small and the ammonia will build up too quickly. Is your tank heated?
bettaisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #3 
MollyJean

The clouding is known as a bacteria bloom. It's probably being caused by your filter trying to establish a cycle, but because it's a 1 gallon tank, a cycle won't hold. In fact your filter isn't going to do much of anything other then pick up a few stray particles of food and poop. With a 1 gallon tank you need to be doing 3-4 water changes a week (50%) and one large (100%) water change a week. This is the only way to keep ammonia from building up and hurting your fish.

Don't put anything else in that tank. Not even a snail. It's just way way too small. Bettas need more room, to be honest, 1 gallon is just not enough.. it'd be like keeping a dog in his travel crate all the time and never letting him out. Generally, betta do best in a tank larger then 2.5 gallons. Not only will this make the betta very happy, but it'll be easier on you; Less water changes! And with a larger tank (5+) you could use that filter to establish a cycle, that would keep your water nice and clean, cutting down your water changes even more.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #4 
bettaisbetter

Actually, a cycle is possible. It will just be very unstable in a small tank due to the limited surface area the BB need to thrive and grow. I cycled my 3.5 successfully, without plants. That's a lot of water changes, for 1G tanks I prefer 1 100% and 2 50% changes. A 1G is enough IMO... I don't really like it, but it consider it minimum. As long as the OP stimulates and cleans the tank just enough, the betta can live a happy, healthy life. It's up to you, Kbud.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #5 
Kbud

Thanks. Disappointing, but I think I can stabilize it. Hopefully the plants will grow and help balance it. Maybe fertilizer would help them grow faster? I want him to be happy, and I do like the filter/bubbler. Is it still possible to stabilize with those on? It just seems weird. How can I know when it is balanced? Thanks!
Old 01-29-2013, 03:59 PM   #6 
Kbud

My tank is not heated. Will adding live plants help stabilize it? If I can get more plants in, maybe I can keep it in equilibrium. I will change his water often, but doesn't the filter and plants take care of most nitrates?
Old 01-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #7 
Kbud

The filter does have charcoal... To keep him happy, does anybody know good ways to entertain him?
Old 01-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #8 
MollyJean

Yes, you can cycle a 1 gallon tank, but it won't hold. Sooner or later it will crash, and you're still going to have to do the water changes, because 1 gallon just isn't enough water for a fish.. for anything, really. Even if you could set up a bacteria colony, it's not going to be able to work fast enough to cut down water changes. In short, it can be done, but for a new betta keeper, it's just not worth it. If you want to keep your filter, go ahead, but please, do the frequent water changes to keep him healthy.

Does your fish like the bubbler? Bettas tend to prefer still water, but there are a few who like the bubbles.

Lots of people keep 1 gallon tanks, sure. You need to do lots of water changes, keep the gravel clean and keep a close eye on your betta. I don't agree with such a small tank.. it's like living in a closet. Sure, it can be done, but you don't want to live in a closet, do you?

As for ferts, you can get tablets/capsules that you place in the root system for the plant, so you don't have to change your substrate. That, plus a good light will help them grow, but you're not going to see progress in just 2 days. Give it time :)
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #9 
bettaisbetter

The ferts are up to you. I would rather have more plants than big ones. Doesn't the filter and aerator make the current strong for him? A fully cycled tank has 0ppm ammonia and nitrite, and readable nitrates. To be stable you have to make sure there's no ammonia/nitrite.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #10 
Kbud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaisbetter View Post
The ferts are up to you. I would rather have more plants than big ones. Doesn't the filter and aerator make the current strong for him? A fully cycled tank has 0ppm ammonia and nitrite, and readable nitrates. To be stable you have to make sure there's no ammonia/nitrite.
Perhaps the current is a bit strong for him... he kind of stays out of it and he doesn't seem to like it when it lifts him up. Though its cool, I'll turn the aerator down. Can I get a cheap meter to test all this, and what is the recommended temperature for bettas?

Will he be unhappy in a small tank? He's not too big and I'll get him some more decor. I just want to make sure he's happy and healthy. He is always moving and active. I saw a product called Tetra EasyBalance. Will this help my problem and keep it balanced? It also says it reduces the need for water changes. I also heard from a reviewer of this tank that it took about a month to stabilize. Does that sound right?

Sorry about being a nusiance, I just want to make sure I'm caring for my new friend the right way.

Tags
cloudy water