Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #1 
breeglet

New Betta Not Eating

Hi there everyone.

Here is my new lovely Felix. He is very healthy with no signs of illness, is very active and cute, and is an all-around curious and peaceful betta. There is a tiny hole in his fin for whatever reason, but I'm sure it will fill in eventually.

There is one catch.

I have no idea how to get him to associate feeding with going to the top of the tank. When I got him he was basically brand new off the lot (probably why he's so healthy). Maybe he isn't hungry yet. He seems to be very well-adapted to his new home, no stress signs at all. Plays around in the java moss, investigates the bubbles on the sponge of my filter (using the azoo palm) and then dashes through the current of the drop-flow. Hangs around the wisteria, yatta yatta. I feel like he just doesn't know that food goes at the top of the tank or something... I dunno!

Oh, and erm, can someone "type" him for me? :) I see everyone use those super specific typings for their bettas like combos of random letters that I don't know the meaning of at all. All I know about Felix's "type" is that he was laveled half moon at the store.

Last edited by breeglet; 01-30-2013 at 11:29 AM.
breeglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #2 
waterdog

I try to train mine by tapping gently on the lid before opening it and putting food in. As a rule it only takes about a week for my fish to associate the sound of the lid opening with food and they come to the top any time the lid is touched. By this time I can almost drop pellets into their mouths! LOL

Of course there is an exception to every rule. I have one in my 2.5 that will not come up and eat until I close the lid. "Wiseguy" LOL
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #3 
breeglet

Yeah haha the tapping definitely isn't working! He is soooo oblivious. @__@
Old 01-30-2013, 12:25 PM   #4 
tnvol

He will eat when he get's hungry enough. Give him some time. He is still getting used to his new home.
tnvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #5 
breeglet

I guess I'll try not to overthink it until the end of the week.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #6 
itsuki

im in the same boat too. i just got a new half moon double tail on saturday and he hasnt eaten a bite of his pellets or bloodworms. he seems healthy enough i saw him building a bubble nest. he only stares at the food for a few seconds then swims away :( i tried throwing in a pellet and step out of the room (supposedly some wont eat in your presence) and come back 10 or 15 minutes to find the pellet water logged and on the bottom on the tank. i stuck in a giant fake plant in the tank yesterday to make him feel safer and he likes to hide in it but it hasnt yet helped his appetite. i started up my own thread on the subject and some members here on the board said that bettas can go 3 weeks without eating. so just give him some time.
itsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #7 
tnvol

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeglet View Post
I guess I'll try not to overthink it until the end of the week.
Yep. It's not time to worry yet. Before long he will be at the top begging for food every time someone walks by his tank. lol
tnvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #8 
breeglet

He must be too busy and excited by exploring. :) He's so funny to watch. Sometimes he comes to the front of the tank and starts doing a dance. He's good with tankmates too, ignores them as if they don't exist. He's totally in his own little world.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #9 
sainthogan

Give him time, it's not uncommon for a new Betta to go a week or two without eating while he/she adjusts to its new surroundings.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:11 PM   #10 
itsuki

my new betta just topped out at 5 days without eating and then i dropped a pellet at the top of the water and he RUSHED IT!! give him some time, i do wonder if me adding the decor made him feel safer and more comfortable.......
itsuki is offline   Reply With Quote