Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #1 
Sakejing

What to feed 2 month old betta fries.

My bettas are two months old , they are still quite small compared to other spawns ive seen online. ive been feeding them microworms 3 times a day . Recently i just bought frozen daphnia and bloodworms but they wouldnt go for it they would have a nibble on the daphnia but would just spit it right back out, 3 of my fries died yesterday, im starting to worry is it because they do not have enough nutrition because ive been only feeding them microworms....i do not think that my tank is dirty because i do 30% water changes everyday.Any ideas on what i should feed them??
Sakejing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #2 
Myates

BBS is common.. white worms once the fry get to be about an inch long.. should be able to start transitioning them to ground up pellet/flake foods by now. A good variety of high protein/live foods are important.. generally the micros are not fed past the one month stage, but still doable as long as there is other food as well.

How big is the tank, how many fry do you have? are you siphoning the debris on the bottom daily? I would probably up the % a bit in case the stunting hormone is built up and causing them to grow at a slower rate.

8 week old fry average about 1.3", give or take some depending upon how much you feed and of what.
Attached Images

Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #3 
Sakejing

Thanks for replying , do you have a pic of white worms??i have 23 fries now since 3 of them died . i siphon the debris daily and my tank is a 7 gallon.Can i just use any pellets of flakes?? or is there a specific brand that i need to use. ill increase the percentage tomorrow say about 50??
Old 02-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #4 
Sakejing

ive just tried feeding them crushed pellets but they wouldnt go for it , they only go for something that is moving like microworms. urghh its so frustrating!! :(
Old 02-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #5 
Myates

I would definitely increase the %, and with that many fry you will NEED a tank of over 20 gallons to grow them.. that is another big reason they aren't growing - a grow out tank should be no less than 20 gallons (for a small spawn), 30g+ is more ideal for what you have.. 7 gallon is smaller than what a lot of people breed in.

So definitely do at least 50% daily water changes.. they produce a growth stunting hormone, and in such a small space it's going to build up quickly.

So.. bigger tank, make sure the temp is 80-84*F, feed 3-4x a day of BBS and for white worms.. this page may help. There are other types of live food.. would look up what you can get and what you are willing to do (some live food is just yucky dealing with lol). But you definitely need to get them some more variety with the live foods.. BBS is easy and is good to feed, I'd go that route mainly at this point.. anything else is a bonus.

As for food other than live foods.. I have New Life Spectrum fry formula, along with some fry food I got from the IBC store (no real name to it). Once they get a bit bigger then you can move onto small pellets, NLS have a "growth" formula that I love to feed my young ones.

But at this point, I would stick with as much live food as you can..

Last edited by Myates; 02-01-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #6 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakejing View Post
ive just tried feeding them crushed pellets but they wouldnt go for it , they only go for something that is moving like microworms. urghh its so frustrating!! :(
It will take a bit for them to eat non live foods.. but make sure it's for fry as it's different ingredients/size, etc.. these fish can choke to death, not uncommon for that to happen with fry.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #7 
logisticsguy

I will second Myates opinion on NLS Grow. Nice and small for juvi betta and at 50% protein its hard to beat. Also good advice on the 50% daily water changes. It is critical to get the hormones out. They build up fast and water params get high quickly too with the number of fish and high feed program.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote