Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #1 
Saphira101

Exclamation What's wrong with Pi?

Hey guys, Pi is not doing well. she has had clamped fins since yesterday afternoon and isn't swimming around. as you may know, she is kind of *ahem* VERY sensitive. I am not sure what's wrong, please help!!

Housing
What size is your tank? Nearly 2 gallons- it is a Petco brand "kritter keeper"
What temperature is your tank? 72* F. (I am slowly acclimating her to her new heater- the temp used to be 64!! :/ I've been raising it one degree an hour no more than 5 hours a day.
Does your tank have a filter? No.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None. however, her tank is next to my Betta Merlin's tank.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega one Betta buffet pellets.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Two pellets, once a day in the morning.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Just started doing twice weekly.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? one 100% and one 50%.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress coat.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Sorry, I have not tested the water. (Don't have a test kit)

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? She has stress stripes on her face, her fins are clamped (even her pectorals!) and she stays in one place.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? All she does is stay in one place, floating at the top (not on her side) except when I drop a pellet in, then she goes after it.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday afternoon.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I have not. (unless putting white paper on the outside of her tank is treating)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? She actually has some minor fin rot right now, I am treating it with stress coat (one Ml. per gallon of water) like Callistra told me to. Other than that, I have no idea.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I do not know. I got her on Christmas. (she already had fin rot when I got her) All I know is that she is an adult.

Name:  IMG_7578.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  60.3 KB

Name:  photo(35).jpg
Views: 117
Size:  72.9 KB

Thank you for your help.

~Saphira
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #2 
Saphira101

Anyone?

Please help!!
Old 01-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #3 
Saphira101

I just witnesses Pi swimming a little. she unclamped her fins for like 2 seconds then reclamped. The stress stripes have spread the entire lenghth of her body now. At least she's taking air frequently.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #4 
MSG

Well, one quick observation is look at the temperature of the tank. It's like 68 degrees. I'm assuming it doesn't have a heater in that tank?

If it's a juvie aka small beta under 3 centimeters, they require a slightly higher temperature. I keep my little troublemakers in about 78-82 degrees.

They've also been in 86-88 degrees as well and couldn't seem happier.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #5 
Saphira101

I just got a heater and am slowly working my way up to 78*. (1 degree an hour, no more than 5 hours a day) the current temp is 72*
Old 01-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #6 
MSG

I don't know where you got that information from, but you're taking too long.

I would to cup Pii & float her container inside a larger tank that's ALREADY at the suggested temperature. Within an hour come back to check on her & offer 1 pellet. If she eats it, then that's a very good sign she'll be fine.

I personally don't take DAYS to acclimate, I do it within a few hours with the floating method.

I don't know why you think she has fin rot, I'm pretty sure she's a crowntail juvie.

It's your fish, you decide which method works for you.

I just checked the temp on my tanks & they're 76-78 degrees. I've been gone most of the day.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #7 
Saphira101

You cannot see it in the photo, but she does have fin rot. I'll try your advice.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:08 PM   #8 
Saphira101

I just floated her in another Betta tank while her QT heats up. I'll put her back tomorrow or later than that, if the the tank isn't heating fast enough. Thank you MSG, and I apologize for overreacting. I just get really worried when my fish show any signs of illness/unhappiness. I'll see how she does.

Again, thanks.

~Saphira
Old 01-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #9 
callistra

Floating is one way to do it but raising 15 degrees in only few hours is risky.. It's too fast, imho but maybe it will help...

Did you do a water change right before this happened or were water changes a few days ago?

Did she clamp after you started raising temp?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:19 PM   #10 
Saphira101

Water changes were a few days ago. She clamped about a day after I put her in, by the time I had gone from 68*F to 72*F. she is though, actually starting to unclamp a little bit now that she's floating. Perhaps it's because she's flaring at her neighbor? She does seem a bit more energetic. I hope she starts to feel better.

Thanks guys. I'll keep you posted.

~Saphira