Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #11 
bettaisbetter

All types of sand or perfectly fine for them. Just note that Petco sand usually lowers your pH for some reason. And play sand is very, very messy. You'll need to clean it like a billion times..! Just clean really, really well and it should be fine. I personally like using this brand of freshwater sand, it's really pretty. :) The color won't matter much, and just be sure to get "Super Naturals" if you do choose this sand. I love black sand, it makes the colors of the fish "pop" out.
bettaisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #12 
Syriiven

Sounds like a plan =D And I'm headed to PetSmart to get everything anyways. Its a long trip for us so only so many stops and I'm prlly gonna be rushed by my driver xD How many bags do you think I'll need tho? How thick should the layer of sand be so any cories or 'feeler' fish dont get hurt?
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #13 
bettaisbetter

Of sand? One will do, the Super Naturals bag I bought said perfect for 20G tanks. It's around 3-4 inches for 20G highs and a soft thin layer for 20G longs. 29G are the same as 20G longs except the width, it should still be fine, though. It's like 2 inches for my 20G long. My cories are perfectly fine.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #14 
Syriiven

Oh wow, lol, that's quite a bit. Hm! there was another question that popped in my head....ah! How did you rinse yours? I dont have a very fine strainer, just a normal pasta strainer for my gravel.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #15 
bettaisbetter

That's not the method I used actually.. lol I just put in some sand in a small bucket and rinsed with hot water multiple times and carefully added in to my used to be bare tank. I repeated with rinsing until I emptied my whole bag. Oh, and if your sand capacity is pretty deep, (3in.+) Trust me, that was a lot of work. lol You will also have to sift the sand 2 times per week so no gas build up will occur. The cories will do most of the work, and MTS will help by burying themselves as well.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #16 
Syriiven

Well I have buckets and big 1 gallon bowl I can use to keep rinsing it. Did you just scoop it out and add it then? Then just kept rinsing and stuff?I'm assuming whatever we're rinsing floats.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #17 
bettaisbetter

I opened the bag, put some sand in a small bucket, rinse with hot water multiple times, add in tank, and repeat. Pour out the nasties when rinsing.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #18 
Syriiven

Okies =) Sounds like a plan. And OMGosh! I'm setting the tank up right now on my table and it's so long! Which is good cause its not a big table xD
Old 01-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #19 
logisticsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syriiven View Post
Hmm~ maybe I should get some sand to go over top of my gravel then. I don't have enough gravel to fill the base of the tank any ways, gosh it's so big xD And I just need it to seed the cycle and hold stuff down any ways. How long would I need to let the sand settle before adding my girls though? They'll have travelled for about 5-8 hours by the time I'm getting home.

I am getting 6 girls from Sena, and was getting 1 girl from Logistics, but now, if he'll allow me, I might get a few more. Havent had a chance to discuss that with him yet.
You can have as many as you would like. The females are very well behaved little girls and should have no issues in your sorority. You will get to see my Panda corys. They are an awesome sorority tankmate, Ive never had any problem with them, so cute and entertaining. Hard workers cleaning the bottom as well. I dont have sand in my sorority tank but the gravel isnt sharp edged stuff so their barbles have been fine. They dont tolerate a lot of AQ salt however something to keep in mind.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #20 
Syriiven

I'm trying to avoid using AQ salt all the time, as I think that may have been what finally killed my VT in December. Even though I was just trying to keep his tail healing instead of being torn up and get infected. >.<

Plus I hope to add plants later on, so salt is a no...I'll be getting Stress Coat if it's gonna be needed.

I don't want to pick too many =) After all I'm getting a lot of fish and need to transport them all ^^; So..maybe three more girls added to my previous pair I want. Nine girls should do just fine.

Though I dont know where I'm going to find cories, my petSmart doesnt ever seem to have them.

And I know I have some sharp natural gravel in the tank, so I dont want to chance it. 'Sides, I like playing with sand =3