Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2013, 04:47 PM   #1 
LadyVictorian

How often to Add Ferts and CO2 Boosts

So my anubias had been having trouble and I talked to a plant lady who was saying it wasn't getting enough nutrition from the water, likely due to the fact my java ferns and moss might be using most of it up since they grow so fast and it was leaving my other plant sickly and dying.

So how often should I fert or add CO2 boost? I use to add only once every few weeks or if I had to do a large tank cleaning and drained a lot of water. I only just got the CO2 boost a few days ago and added it only once so with a lot of plants fighting for food how should I do this?

Plants in the tank at current:
3 Java Ferns
Java Moss
Moss Ball
Duckweed
Anubias
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:55 PM   #2 
Fishybitty

I use the co2 booster 1ml every other day for my 10 gallon. I might try adding a little more because I have so many plants. I see growth, but it is sooo slow. ^.^

(I'm not a pro, but hope this helps a tad bit)
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:42 PM   #3 
LadyVictorian

It does, haaaaa wow...yeah I am deff not adding enough for these plants. My java's grow like WEEDS. my duckweed is multiplying like snails and I think my anubias is just one unhappy camper. I figured I didn't need to increase the amount I gave my plants once I added more. Hopefully it will level out better as more fish get added once it's finished.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:51 PM   #4 
Fishybitty

I have bacopa and crypts. I bought them in the packets at Petsmart they are small. I grabbed the co2 to help with growth, that is why I am upping the dose. I see small improvement but it is very small so that is why I was going to up it to 2ml instead of 1ml.

Good luck!
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:52 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

It will probably be your duckweed that is sucking all the nutrients out of the water. But I shouldn't think that it would be effecting your other plants too much as they are fairly low light and low care.

What kind of symptoms are you seeing with your anubias? Also, how old is the plant? Some are grown emersed so it could be still transitioning as they are awfully slow growers.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #6 
LadyVictorian

The edges of the leaves are turning brown, my snail has been eating the dead leaf off though so it won't muck up the water. It also seems if the dead part is left on then it spreads into the center more until the whole leaf is gone. Not sure how old the plant is, got it maybe 2 weeks ago. It was fine the first three days in qt and then after that it started getting sort of sickly. After I added it to the tank it just crashed and almost every leaf was close to being gone. Since then three new leaves has shown up but they were getting the brown outline to the leaves as well so it got even more concerning.