Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #1 
homegrown terror

lighting problem in Aqueon Minibow 5 gallon

hey, i've got a problem. we've got an Aqueon Minibow 5 that's currently got silk plants in it. we're going to switch it to live plants, but the filter is built into the hood, and blocks lighting from a good third of the tank floor. is there any way to circumvent this problem without having to use an additional light source, or should that area just be planted with low-light plants like wisterias?
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:39 AM   #2 
sandybottom
Reference Team

does the 5 gallon have a small 12v incandescent candelabra bulb in it? one or two bulbs? these bulbs won't grow much. maybe java fern ,anubias,moss or marimo balls. for these i would just give the tank a little filtered, indirect sunlight for a couple of hours a day. you can't grow much more without upgrading your lighting. i have the 1 gallon minibow and assume that the lighting is similar. i use mine as a hospital tank.i stocked it with the plants mentioned above.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:05 PM   #3 
homegrown terror

it's got a single-socket hood, and we've got a pretty strong CFL bulb in there. the light is wonderful, the only problem is the largeish shadow the filter creates.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

put lowlight plants in the shadow and high light plants in the well lit areas....
ao is offline   Reply With Quote