Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #1 
Elsewhere

Question Questions

I feel so crazy with so many posts, but I have some questions for anyone who will answer! I currently have two 10g tanks, each with their own male Betta and one with 3 Mystery Snails. One tank is filtered, one is not. Now for the questions:

Can I put in a barrier in each tank and add a second to each tank?

If I do so, can I remove the filter from my one Betta's tank?

How can I make my own barrier (I don't have the funds to buy actual barriers)?

Will the entire tank still be heated if I divide them?

I'm planning on getting more live plants and planting my unplanted tank- is that okay to do with the barrier?

Is it better to add a male or a female in a divided tank?

Sorry for all of the stupid questions, I just want to be absolutely sure about this before I do something I'll regret.
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #2 
MediBedi

My opinions!

Sure why not.
I guess you can remove the filter but you do need to do water changes often.
No idea never made one before.
If the waters able to travel through the barrier, both sides should be heated.
I'm planning on getting more live plants and planting my unplanted tank- is that okay to do with the barrier?
Sure, I don't see why not.
Personally I'd say it doesn't matter as long as if you get two males they don't get past the barrier.

No such thing as stupid questions
MediBedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:57 PM   #3 
Elsewhere

Thank you! Does anyone know if never before used plexi-glass is good to use as a divider?
Old 01-31-2013, 12:21 AM   #4 
aemaki09

Yes. I actually make my 10 gallon tanks so that there are 4 sections in each so I can house more bettas in less space.
you can. you dont technically need a filter at all, the only purpose with it for bettas is to help with water quality as it grows Benificial bacteria.
here is a link for a DIY divider, all you need is craft mesh, report binders, and scissors. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=40025
yes, you will want to have an airstone or a filter to get circulation going through the tank so the heater spreads heat evenly throughout.
perfectly fine! as long as light reaches them and they arent shaded by the divider, which I highly doubt they would be, it will be perfectly fine!
it honestly is all personal preferance. either way the existing occupant is going to be worked up for a few days. I prefer males because they dont secrete any hormones, females dont get overly eggy getting ready to breed and males dont get in breeding mode, but with males there will always be random flaring matches throughout the day and if they sneak through the divider somehow then it means a lot more trouble than if a female did it.
I've done both, both have worked out just great, I just personally prefer to have all male tanks.

What you could do if you want females is to divide one of your tanks and stick both males in it, and then make a sorority out of your other 10 gallon. (just a thought!)
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:05 AM   #5 
Elsewhere

Thank you for the link! I would love to get a female sorority, it's just that the tank I would move my male into would have three snails and he is VERY aggressive. He almost killed one of them when it was in his tank, so I think that I'll stick with the males right now ^.^ I'm going to try for a sorority maybe in a couple of months, after I've gotten the hang of this many Bettas and have the proper funds to get them a larger tank and everything they would need.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:25 AM   #6 
Myates

Been answered, but throwing my 2 cents in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsewhere View Post
Yep.. in fact, can make it so you have 3-4 sections in the 10g to have more bettas if you wish :) Will be the same weekly water change schedule - 1 50% per week.. the tank without the filter you will want to do 1 50%/week and 1 100%/month (if you have live plants then no 100% per month). As bettas don't produce a whole lot of ammonia/waste, you can have 1-4 in the 10g and be doing the same amount of water changes. Just remember the added one for the tank with the snails.

Don't need to.. if it is a bit strong you can jimmy an aquarium sponge in the outflow (held on by a clean rubber band) to help keep the current minimal.

There is the link above - but this one I prefer as it's easier to find the plastic crafting mesh (in craft stores/craft aisle in Walmart, etc). I had luck finding the report binders at Dollar General, couldn't find them at Walmart.

Yes.. with mesh dividers the water will circulate through enough to heat the whole tank.

Yes, it won't affect the plants/tank/fish any.. all the plants care about is light, clean water and a good fertilizer (fish flakes and fish waste do work as fertilizers).

Either one you want.. regardless of sex they will flare and such at first but in time get used to one another. I have seen no difference in stress/flare between any of mine regarding their neighbor's sex.

Sorry for all of the stupid questions, I just want to be absolutely sure about this before I do something I'll regret.
There are no stupid questions :) If you didn't ask, you wouldn't know and not knowing is what leads to trouble.

As for the plexi glass question - you can use it, you would just have to make sure to drill enough holes in it for the water to move through, and make sure they aren't too big as the fish can poke their heads through and bite each other.

Make sure that the top of the divider is roughly 2 inches above the water line - if you build your own you can try to get it as close to the cover as possible to help prevent jumping.. they will jump over if given the chance.

Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:08 PM   #7 
Elsewhere

Okay so I'm going with the plexiglass. But my problem is that my dad won't be able to help me cut it until Saturday or Sunday and I'm going to my LFS tomorrow... I have a 5g, a 1g and a 2g vase. I don't want to use the 5g because it would have to sit on my floor with no lid and my dog sleeps with me. Is it okay to put them in the 1g and 5g for maybe a day or two with heat?
Old 01-31-2013, 07:29 PM   #8 
Myates

Yes, with a heater is just fine, or in the warmest part of your house.. the 1 and 2 gallons are fine to use - temporarily or permanently.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #9 
Elsewhere

Sorry, I meant with no heater, but my room is pretty warm and they'll be about three feet from the heating vent (and another three and a half upwards from it) so I think they should be okay...
Old 02-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #10 
Myates

I would place a wash cloth or something over the top of their holding containers if they are near the vent - there will be lots of fluctuation with it turning off and on, so to avoid drafts would cover the top with something such as a wash cloth to allow breathing and no direct draft.

Preferably it's better to keep them away from the vents all together.. same room is fine, but maybe a bit further from them. Can also wrap a towel around the containers to help keep in the warmth overnight.