Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2014, 05:20 PM   #1 
Sunshine42

Plants in a Five Gallon- CO2 Questions?

Hey all!
I've recently upgraded my little man (Sunshine, an orange CT) to a five gallon complete with filter and light hood out of his 2 gallon, and I'm interested in putting some plants in there. I'd rather not get too fancy, as I do have to move him eventually because I live in a dorm.
I'm interested in getting a moss ball (which doesn't require as much care as other plants, so I've read), and an Anubias. The Anubias is where I'm running into questions...
http://www.tropica.com/en/plants/pla...n.aspx?pid=101
It says on this page that they need 3-5 mg per litre of CO2 (five gallons comes out to about 18.9L, for those of you who are like me and can't do the math in your head!). Will my betta be able to keep up with this? I don't really want to fuss with CO2 additives if I don't have to (moving fish equipment is already going to be interesting at the end of the year), but I don't want to kill a plant either. I was considering getting a snail of some sort in the next couple weeks, if that makes any significant difference.
Sunshine42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:45 PM   #2 
kman

You don't need co2 for anubias, plain and simple. They do great in low light, low tech tanks. Just tie it to a rock or driftwood, stick it in the tank, and you're done. :)
kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:13 PM   #3 
Sunshine42

Thanks for your help!! :) I appreciate it
Sunshine42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:25 PM   #4 
meganlbetta

This also helped me! I will look into that plant too if its that simple :)
meganlbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:08 PM   #5 
Gocards

Hornwort and Java Fern do well in my 5 gal. I have a small driftwood that I tied some Anubias nana and java fern to. There was some natural pockets in the wood that worked great. Plus it has several holes for more plants. The hornwort has to be trimmed but looks great flowing in the back. I have it planted but many people leave it floating. I like it because my ADF likes to sit up in it. I have a small cave and the driftwood with around 7 plants in gravel substrate. All low light plants and my betta and ADF love it. 6 months and going strong together. I was thinking of adding some shrimp as I have a lot of nooks for them to hide in. I may get a Maximo Ball as they are good luck in Japan. Plants are great additions I'm not a fan of the fake ones. I add a little fert once a week and some co2. Plants are healthy and critters are happy. Hornwort is extra cheap too. Plus the plants help keep the water very clean.

Last edited by Gocards; 01-29-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Gocards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:02 PM   #6 
kman

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganlbetta View Post
This also helped me! I will look into that plant too if its that simple :)
Yes, it should be. :)
kman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 gallon, anubias, co2, planted tank, plants