Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2013, 01:14 AM   #1 
Nibblez

Fairly new betta owner

Hi there guys,

I'm from sydney (yes... down under) and i got myself a betta about 2 weeks ago and i have been surfing the web for all the information i need, stumbled upon an aussie betta forum which seemed, uhh, dead with its last posts from 2009 or so.

Anyways, got a cheap betta (Nibblez) from the pet store in one of those ~1 gallon glass cubes and used that for about half a week before i got myself a proper tank. Its a 14 litre (~4 gallon) setup for him and a real plant with a piece of drift wood rather than that plastic thing he had before. This tank has the bio filter or something and a small pump.

It is now the second week he is in the 14 litre tank so i just did a 1/3 water change with water conditioner (stress coat and stress zyme) and scrubbed down the algae on the glass. As for the light, i just keep it on between late morning and early evening.

Still trying to learn about tank setups and betta care. I have a few quick questions though, is the pump too strong? I've been worrying that is too strong a current, i've turned it down to minimum and angled the nozzle to reduce the current as much as possible.

Also, any idea what breed he is? I assume he is just a common breed when i got him. Cute little guy loves to nibble my finger and keeps jumping for his food even when its at the water surface. If theres anything wrong that i'm doing or could improve on, could you guys tell me before i harm Nibblez?

Here are some photos, only have my phone camera right now, sorry for the bad quality photos.

Nibblez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:24 AM   #2 
creame172

im pretty new too but your nibblez looks like a spade tail to me. :)
there's a thread where you can see all the types and colors.
its in betta fish care, "betta tails and colors listed here"
creame172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #3 
waterdog

Welcome to Bettas R Us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #4 
eatmice2010

welcome and nice tank setup:)
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....

Nice to meet you....

Lots of different ways to keep, breed and rear fry successfully-its finding what works for you, your breeders and what you have on hand....

Be sure and post questions in the proper section for best response-We have lots of members ready and willing to help....(We encourage lots of questions so don't hesitate to ask and start new threads)

Enjoy your stay....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote