Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2013, 03:27 AM   #1 
Chili Padi

Advice on my sick betta

I recently rescued 2 weak Veiltail bettas but one unfortunately died the next day but the other is still weak. I've medicated my betta and it is still under quarantine but until now it barely ate any food (pellets/flakes) i gave. It has been 3 days now since i rescued my Veiltail. My betta does swim around time to time but most of the time it just stays in one spot. Today i noticed some cotton wool on his fins which i assume is cotton wool disease. My concern is that he is not eating at all which of course would make him more weaker.
Would salt help cure this?

If anyone can help advice me on a better way to medicate my betta, you help is much appreciated.

Thank you
Chili Padi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:06 AM   #2 
Myates

Sorry you lost one.. what medication are you using?

If it looks cottony it could just be fungus.. common with ill store fish.. can use a fungus medication or AQ salt - 2tsp of AQ salt (dissolve it first) per gallon, daily 100% water changes with new salt each time - it may take a few days.. continue treatment a day or two after you last see it.. but no longer than 10-14 days.

Not uncommon for ill fish and brand new (healthy) fish to not eat for a while after bringing them home.. I highly suggest being careful when "rescuing" half dead fish in the future once this guy gets better.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:08 AM   #3 
Chili Padi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post

If it looks cottony it could just be fungus.. common with ill store fish.. can use a fungus medication or AQ salt - 2tsp of AQ salt (dissolve it first) per gallon, daily 100% water changes with new salt each time - it may take a few days.. continue treatment a day or two after you last see it.. but no longer than 10-14 days.

Not uncommon for ill fish and brand new (healthy) fish to not eat for a while after bringing them home.. I highly suggest being careful when "rescuing" half dead fish in the future once this guy gets better.
Thank you for your reply
I was pretty upset i lost one he was a beauty too pure white.

Anyhow, i have been using anti external bacteria for fungus, fin rot etc, i've yet to use salt which i'm about to do after this. My sick betta has been quaratined with that ever since i got him but does'nt seem to cure him so i recently bought salt to boost up the meds. Today sadly i noticed a string of his tail fell off and is getting pretty weaker.

At first before i bought the 2 bettas from the petstore they seemed ok not as sick as one is now.

My sick betta is my 6th betta, the other 5 are well and healthy took them 2-3 days to get comfortable and even managed to train them tricks already, depending on individual's character. You can check them out in my album if you wish. I hope my sick betta will get through this sickness it's upsetting just by looking how weak he is so i'm trying my best to revive him back.

Again thanks alot for your feedback
Old 02-01-2013, 03:03 AM   #4 
Chili Padi

Quote:

Oh btw is it ok if i mix the salt plus the anti bacteria liquid med for quarantine?
Old 02-01-2013, 04:50 AM   #5 
Chili Padi

Quote:

Guess what, my last sick betta just died i quarantined him w salt already then few hours later i found him floating it must be internal disease which is unseen besides fin rot and cotton wool disease...i'm devastated both of my new beauty bettas died
Old 02-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #6 
Myates

I'm sorry :( Poor little ones.. you did your best though, and that counts.

That is why whenever I do purchase from a store I make sure they are healthy.. don't like the heartache :(
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote