Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2013, 11:23 AM   #1 
MediBedi

Post betta fry foods

Thinking of breeding my male halfmoon betta sometime this summer, need to find the right female betta first.. I know when the fry first hatch they can live off of infusoria for about two days maybe three. So was thinking before breeding them start an infusoria culture in the breeding tank? And after 2-3 days feed them BBS, vinegar eels and microworms, mixing it up every day or so(BBS one day, vinegar eels the next, and microworms the next and repeat). Just wondering though when do I start the BBS culture and how long will it last before I need to start a new one?

Also read about some people using hard boiled egg yoke mashed up really fine and adding water? has anyone ever used it and could give there opinion on it?
MediBedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:56 AM   #2 
Myates

The egg can get messy.. but doable if needed/can't get live foods.

BBS will hatch every 18-24 hrs, so it's best to keep 2 going - start one the day before you are to start feeding.. early in the morning.. and then the next day start the second hatchery.. usually you start a new one daily, as after 24hrs from birth or so they start to grow and lose their nutritional value.. so they are at their best within the first 24hrs.

If that makes sense..

So with them needing a day to hatch, and really only the best for a day.. why having two hatcheries going at once is ideal so there is a continuous flow of food.. don't need to mix the food up by day, can be by meal as well to give them more of a variety/mix.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:52 PM   #3 
aemaki09

+1!
You can also do banana worms and/or microworms for the first week or two before you do bbs. That's what I am doing with my spawn right now. A lot of well known breeders seem to highly recommend them for the first month because they don't have as many swim bladder problems with worms as they do with bbs.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:36 PM   #4 
Myates

There is a big debate or so going around with micro worms.. many breeders are finding the more they feed that, the more fish they have that lack ventral fins. So many breeders now stay away from the micro, or feed less of it. Banana is good too.. have some of that.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:21 PM   #5 
bettaisbetter

I like BBS, micros, and vinegar eels.
MWs tend to float to the bottom of the grow out and that's where some fish hang out.. They start getting bacteria on them so the bacteria also goes on their ventrals. As long as you keep the floor very clean there should be a minimal chance of getting missing ventrals. :)
bettaisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:19 PM   #6 
MediBedi

what about vinegar eels and banana worms is there anything negative about them?

BBS - swim bladder problems
microworms - lack of ventral fins

If your rotating is there still a possibility of these problems?
Old 01-31-2013, 06:25 PM   #7 
bettaisbetter

I never heard of any problems with those.
I'm not a breeder, but I will be in the future. I usually research and dig deep into fry care whenever I have time. Giving them a variety of foods will increase their growth and keep them content.
bettaisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:20 PM   #8 
Myates

As long as you don't over feed (at once) the MW and BBS you shouldn't have any trouble. Many many breeders never have issues with either of those, but there are still a decent number that do - enough to keep an eye open for the possibilities that some may fall victim.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:48 PM   #9 
Option

I have heard of both of these problems. But in all of my betta breeding I have never noticed such a problem....at least not with feeding fry BBS. I have used almost exclusively BBS in the past for my fry.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #10 
MediBedi

Thanks guys!

Guess I'll stick to all 4 BW, MW, BBS and vinegar eels when the time comes.
From what I read from size it goes from BW -Vinegar eels -MW then BBS if Im not correct..? (smallest to largest)