Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #1 
Skyewillow

Sometimes passion is more powerful than protests

I am the only fish person in my family. My mom told me to flush Jade alive the other day, because she's sick. The only other person who shared my passion for fish was my grandma, but she passed away 2 years ago.

My sister works in a Chiropractor's office, they used to have a betta in a vase, and a saltwater tank that was nothing but bad luck. She never really got too attached to the betta that was there.

A couple of days ago, I was telling her all about the 2 hours I spent in the store, haggling with my fiance to save Don Quixote and Diablo from the death cups, I told her how sick and emaciated Donqui is, and how thin Diablo is. I also told her how quickly Diablo started feeling better, and I've been keeping her updated on how Donqui is doing.

She called me last night and told me that hearing about my bettas, and the personalities that they all seem to have, and seeing how much I love them has made her realize that there's no such thing as "just fish". She said that she never thought about them in the same terms as dogs and cats, because they don't make noises when they're hurt. She has a new appreciation for fish in general, and said that she admires me for my passion for something too many people dismiss so easily.

Even if she doesn't enjoy fish like I do, even knowing that I made it through to one other person to let them know the truth about a very misunderstood group of living, breathing, feeling things; it's an amazing feeling. Especially coming from my sister, who is my best friend in the world, we're very close.

Sometimes, it doesn't take yelling, or posters taped up everywhere. Sometimes, it takes passion, and talking about the things you really love, to make it through to another person. ^_^
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm glad your sister understands your passion. I think my mom finally gets my passion for my fish and this forum. She may not like it much but at least she understands it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Wow that is and awesome story and I know just how you feel I have a passion for fish too, Perseus is so special to me and I could spend hours in the pet shop looking at all the fish I find them so amazing and I never tire of watching Perseus swim around or work on his bubble nest. Its like everyday is Christmas morning I am so excited to see him . Fish keeping is not for the weak of heart it does take lots of work and yes even worry of all the things that could go wrong but we have a passion to do all we can to prevent that and to make their world as happy and safe as possible for them and by watching them we can see that yes they deserve a home as nice and loving as our wonderful dogs and cats and other pets have.

Keep spreading the passion !!!!!
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #4 
majesticstorm

I'm so glad that your got through to your sister! Hopefully you can get through to your mom too. :D

I understand what you mean. A lot of people around me(especially my parents) thought that I was a weirdo for caring so much about Rain and his wellbeing. My parents said, "it's just a fish. Why are you spending so much time and money on it?" My dad is more into fish keeping than my mom, so he kind of understands me, but still thinks of them as "just a fish". But after going home for the holidays, and being in the presence of Rain, they have grown fond of him. I told them about this forum and they could see with their own eyes that Rain does in fact recognize people. They were so fond of him that my dad was like, "so...how about you leave him here and you get a new betta when you get back to your dorm, cuz you know, he might get stressed and all" (not those exact words, but I got the feeling that he also didn't want to see Rain gone). Now whenever we have our weekly skype session they would ask me, "so how's Rain?". Sure, they might not want a betta for themselves, and they definitely wouldn't pay as much attention to one if they got one, but at least they understand and accept me.
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #5 
Skyewillow

More often than not, I get tired of people treating them like furniture. They're not just a decoration, to throw out, or put up when you're tired of them!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #6 
majesticstorm

I know! They're living creatures with needs too! They eat, breathe, and poop. If people are not willing to put in the effort to research and keep up the maintenance, then they shouldn't have a betta. If they want decoration, get one of those bubblers with the plastic fishes inside.
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:48 AM   #7 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticstorm View Post
I know! They're living creatures with needs too! They eat, breathe, and poop. If people are not willing to put in the effort to research and keep up the maintenance, then they shouldn't have a betta. If they want decoration, get one of those bubblers with the plastic fishes inside.
Definitely! Or, make their home your decoration. I'm a firm believer that the "furniture" of fish is the tank and stand, make those things beautiful, as long as your fish are healthy/happy!
Old 02-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #8 
sainthogan

When I got my first Betta, my hubby was like "Ok, whatever." Then I got her a 5 gallon tank, and he started to get to know her a little bit and started saying "Yeah, she's kind of cool". Then I got my second Betta through the mail (I adopted him from a breeder on this forum that was getting rid of some of the ones that weren't good for breeding) and had him in a 3 gallon, by this time, my hubby was beginning to realize just how unique Bettas are and INSISTED that I get the new addition a 5 gallon tank too. Eventually, (when I had the money), I upgraded the male to a 5 gallon tank. Now my hubby says that all our future Bettas will have 5 gallon tanks and nothing less. He has become quite attached to the female and she really seems to enjoy his company as well. He likes the male, but seems to think that the female is more personable and smarter. Then he told me that for our next fish we will be picking it out together rather than me getting one through the mail. I'd definitely say that my hubby has been bitten by the betta bug.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #9 
isochronism

Be careful that your female Betta doesn't become "the other women".... HA! Just Kidding :)
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #10 
Skyewillow

My fiance and his girl, Jade, have a thing going when my back is turned too. lol ^_^