Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2013, 03:28 AM   #1 
free2battle1

Damaged fins

My brother "fought" him with my other male Betta. His fins are ruined! Any tips? Is it going to fly row back or not? I'm really worried because I took closer look and there were some wounds on him also. I need help! I'm still inexperienced.
Attached Images

free2battle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:30 AM   #2 
free2battle1

I meant to say is it going to grow back or not?
Old 02-09-2013, 03:31 AM   #3 
free2battle1

Here's another picture of him
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #4 
Phaydra

It will grow back but not to it's former glory. If your bother is fighting the bettas you need to take steps to insure the safety of your betta and his.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #5 
free2battle1

got any tips?
Old 02-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #6 
Phaydra

Well do you still live at home with your parents? If you do you may need to have a sit down with your parents and brother. I would like to believe they would punish your brother and help you take steps to ensure the safety of both animals. Be calm while you talk to both parties and explain you find this sort of animal abuse unacceptable. If you find there is no support from your parents I would consider rehoming your betta till you are in a situation where you have more control over who has access to your animals.

Is it a roommate situation as in you are both grown and live together you may want to lock the Betta in your room when you are not home. Explain to your brother why this is unacceptable. If he doesn't get the point I would look for a new place or rehome the betta till you have a better living situation.

If he just happen to stop by and you live alone I would not allow him in your home while you are not there. I would also supervise him closely when he was there. Again speak calmly to him about this or rage. Up to you here, you are adults. Personally if it was my brother or sister I would rage. (I have raged over conditions I find appalling with my sister's treatment of animals, with good reason though. I found a dog that has starve to death in her place.)

As far as the fins keep him in clean warm water. If there is any sign of fin rot you want to dissolve 2 level teaspoons of aquarium salt per gallon and add it to your tank. The salt treatment only works in soft water as I have recently learned. If you have hard water like we do in Southern Cali adding salt is a pointless task.

Ref for salt treatment hard vs. soft water
http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/should...water-aquarium

Last edited by Phaydra; 02-09-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #7 
Luimeril

if you can get Indian Almond Leaves, naturally dried oak leaves, or betta Spa/blackwater extract, that'll help both his fins and wounds heal up, too.

i do agree that you gotta talk to someone about that. :I it's uncalled for.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #8 
Phaydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
if you can get Indian Almond Leaves, naturally dried oak leaves, or betta Spa/blackwater extract, that'll help both his fins and wounds heal up, too.

i do agree that you gotta talk to someone about that. :I it's uncalled for.

Yeah IAL will work in any water hardness.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #9 
xShainax

I would have killed him if I saw him do that. Your brother needs professional help
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

Keep the water really warm and really clean as well as using salt/IAL. Stresscoat won't hurt either. Keeping the water at 82 will boost his metabolism and encourage him to heal faster. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote