Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2013, 02:41 PM   #1 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Please critique this betta

Here is Jake my hm I am looking to breed him he does reach 180* but would like someone to point out his faults. I would pick out a hm female to even out some of his faults if you guys think it is worth is :)
Attached Images

BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #2 
Setsuna

if you like him regardless of wat people on here says do it anyways because they are not you jake is not theirs but yours. wat is there so lose?
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:51 PM   #3 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Oh I will be breeding him I just wanted to know what I should look for in a female to even out his faults so I can get some half decent fry that others might use as breeding stock. I am really looking to get more people in Canada into breeding and am looking to sell high quality stock for not too high of a price. I have seen people get shot down from breeding bettas because people convince them not to breed I disagree with this and want to get more people into this rewarding hobby.

One of the main problems is not having the money to afford good stock which is why I am asking to criticize this boy, so I can get some nice babies out of him to sell for less money to breeders around here.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:13 PM   #4 
Myates

Yes, do what you please :) Can always work out any "faults" in the line as you see fit.

But for what you are looking for with him, what to clean up..

I would have to say the fins are the main priority first.. they are a bit messy on the edges, the anal is a bit long, the tail a bit short.. nice wide dorsal though.

He has a bit of a spoon head/scoop going on.. his topline could be a bit straighter.

Butterfly pattern is a bit sloppy too.

It depends on what you are wanting - color wise - that will help with the girl. As far as her looks go, look for one with nice tight fins - not too long of anal fin, a wide dorsal to match his.. and a nice tail. Hard to get a 180 spread female HM, but not impossible.. so would try to get one as close as you can, and a little bit longer on hers will help bring out the shortness of his in the offspring. Her topline should be as straight as you can find.

If you are wanting a butterfly pattern, try to get one with the girl and try to get it as even as possible all around.

If you are wanting to show the babies down the road, either first or second, third generation, etc then it's doable with the right girl. But if you are breeding just for pets, then you don't have to be *as* picky.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:19 PM   #5 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

I am looking to show bettas in the future but I would need to ship hem to the U.S and that would be expensive as I am in Canada however I plan on doing that in the future :) here is a better pic of him.

So I would like to work towards high quality show worthy bettas. I am talking to logisticsguy who has a Halfmoon spawn right now and am going to find a female that will kind of even out his faults. Thanks Maytes that was very helpful!
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2013, 08:16 PM   #6 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Myates will you tell me what you think of the female we pick out as I am working with another breeder to find the perfect female :)
Old 01-31-2013, 09:09 PM   #7 
Setsuna

Tell you wat if he didnt have that long red at the anal i would even consider him a butterfly
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:25 PM   #8 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Yes he is a butterfly but a sloppy one the long red streak makes it worse...
Old 01-31-2013, 10:34 PM   #9 
Hadoken Kitty

I know that you said to critic him, but reading this thread, I think that there is a *lot* of critiquing going on. I just want to say that I think his fry will have beautiful coloring. He deserves some really nice compliments too!!!
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:46 PM   #10 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Thanks it is always nice to hear people telling you that you have a pretty fish :D