Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2013, 09:17 PM   #1 
Obsession

Smile Living in a one gallon.

So I know everyone says "bettas need more than 2.5 gallons to be happy" But Lebron is happy! Not stressed, building phenomenal bubble nest's healthy and as curious and lively as ever!! and I think people who have 20-15 and sometimes even ten gallons for one betta alone is worse than having them in a half a gallon because I had Lebron in my ten gallon, he was always pale, stressed and hiding in the one corner that the current of the filter didn't reach, even in my five gallon he was like that! But not all betta's are like him, my three females love the ten gallon and hate their small temporary one gallon bowls! I'm not trying to pick a fight here, all I'm saying that it really agitates some people when others poke and prod at them for having their betta in a one gallon, Yes, for most betta's they don't like it, but don't forget some are happier in one gallon, because some feel insecure in such a big tank. Like I said, I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm just stating this because because it was really bothering me. :)
Lebron my cherished boy, is perfectly fine healthy and happy in his 1.5 gallon!
Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:46 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

I am a firm believer of larger tanks for bettas....... in a 1.5 gallon tank you would need to be doing 100% water changes at least every two or three days to keep a betta healthy long term. As long as a large tank has plenty of places to hide and they are given time to adjust then I cannot see them being unhappy in a large tank. Despite popular belief bettas do not live in puddles for their entire lives in their natural environment.... most of the time they live in quite large bodies of water only occasionally getting stuck in a puddle and only ever for a day or two at a time. Anyway just thought I would give my opinion on the subject as from personal experience I have kept bettas in both small and large tanks and I always found that they not only were happier in the larger tanks but also lived a lot longer. That is my view anyway
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:57 PM   #3 
Irishdancer

Some of my fish are living in 1.5 gallons because I'm in the process of upgrading to bigger tanks. Although most of them have always been in good health, I'm really looking forward to having them all in better tanks because so far, I've noticed a big improvement in their activity levels (and sometimes their colors as well) every time I've upgraded a fish to a bigger tank. Your Lebron is unusual in being stressed by a full-sized tank, I've never had a fish that was actually more happy in a smaller space.

So although I have to admit that it's possible to keep a fish happy in a smaller tank, I feel that 99% of fish really would do better in a 10,5 or even 2.5 gallon tank than a 1.5 gallon. I feel bad that at the moment, that's the best I can do because I honestly believe my fish would be happier in bigger tanks.

Besides, bigger tanks are less work because you don't have to clean them as often, and they're more fun because there's more room for plants and decorations!
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:00 AM   #4 
eemmais

I think that the min. tank size should be 2.5 gallons. IMO, the biggest problem with anything smaller is that it can't be reliably heated. Like veggiegirl said, if they have a lot of places to hide they should really enjoy it. I'm not trying to be rude or anything, that's just what I think.
eemmais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:45 AM   #5 
aemaki09

IMO -- It depends on the betta.

Some bettas get stressed out from large spaces, some get stressed out in small spaces.

You have to think of it this way -- most bettas have been cupped in a store or at a breeder in a 32oz(ish) jar for most of their lives, moving into anything larger than that is huge.

As long as you keep up with water changes, the water is at a good temperature, and the fish is eating, healthy, and active....I dont see a problem with keeping a fish in anything 1 gallon up. (though I personally keep all my males in 2.5's and females in a 26 sorority.)
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:51 AM   #6 
Newbettamommy13

I totally agree with you. I think it kind of depends on the fish on one hand like you said Lebron prefers a small tank over a bigger one, where my little betta, Mojo, is super happy and active in his 5.5 gallon. On the other hand, I think bettas tend to thrive better in larger tanks. Perhaps trying a 5 gallon or 5.5 gallon would work? Just thought I'd put that out there, kinda give my opinion.
Newbettamommy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:15 AM   #7 
Aluka

I keep most of my male bettas in 1.5-2 gal tanks, they all have live plants and a nice hammock to lay on.

But i also do a 25% daily water change, and a 90% weekly change.
Aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #8 
NorthernLights

tank size

I agree that owners should do what suits their betta. I think they deserve to live in 2.5 gallons+, but if you try that, with the appropriate plants, etc, and the fish is very stressed, but not stressed in a smaller container, *do what is best for the fish*.

It *is* possible to heat a small tank consistently. Odysseus lived in a 1 gallon QT tank for the first few weeks of his life and my Hydor Theo 25 watt kept it nicely at 80 degrees. I had to turn the heater down some for that to work (I think it the heater was set to 76 or so).

I would say that 1 gallon is the minimum, though. You need a certain amount of space to fit plants and hide-holes.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #9 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsession View Post
Yes, for most betta's they don't like it, but don't forget some are happier in one gallon, because some feel insecure in such a big tank. Like I said, I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm just stating this because because it was really bothering me. :)
Lebron my cherished boy, is perfectly fine healthy and happy in his 1.5 gallon!
++++1

I remember a poll about a year ago asking what we thought was the ideal tank size. Most members said under 5 gallons and I was surprised. Since then I have learned through my own experience that yes, most bettas, especially long finned ones, prefer a smaller space!

I have put 2 different bettas into 2 different community tanks, one 20 gallon and one 30 gallon. BOTH GOT STRESSED.

So for me the answer is small is actually better in many cases. If you have a larger tank then lots of plants and hiding places are better than open space.

Last edited by registereduser; 02-01-2013 at 10:13 AM.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #10 
Oldfishlady

IMO/E-1gal are fine to keep a Long fin male long term-provided that you maintain water quality-

Due to the long fins-some males can have problems and stress with too much space-while others are fine with the space. Often the long fin male will tolerate the space-but will end up with tattered fins due to use and/or water movement and other are fine. IMO/E a lot of this is due to genetic, age, nutrition to name a few.

Sometimes these man made long heavy delicate fins on a male that has only been kept in small volumes of water-will have poor muscle tone and will be fine for a few days to weeks in larger spaces-and then they start to show signs of stress, stop eating, start showing neurotic behaviors, fins start to tatter...etc.....It not because they don't like that large space per se-its more that they can't physically tolerate it due to what we created-Long heavy delicate fins.......Sometimes we have to do what is best for them and keep them in smaller tanks without water movement.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote