Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2013, 08:47 PM   #1 
auroraeyes

Building a custom tank, what should I charge?

From a young age my father and I have worked on various construction projects, fish tanks, welding, computers, etc. I have been working on a special model tank and I'm not sure what I ought to charge for it.
Specs:
20gal
40inx12inx9.625in
Custom hinged glass lid
4 custom removable dividers(2 opaque and 2 clear)
Custom built sponge filtration system

The set up is what is called a "fish condo". There are two 5 gallon compartments and one 10 gallon. the dividers are removable, and there are two colors that will come with the tank (clear or opaque). The dividers have small custom holes in the top halves to allow water changes of the full tank without removing fish and dividers.
The glass lid has holes to allow oxygen in, and larger holes to allow wires/tubing out. It is divided into 2 parts. You can lift the front 1/4 for feeding without disturbing the light, or lift the whole lid.
The filtration is built by myself and is optimized to take up the least space and electricity by using a gang valve.

Here is a sketch of the tank so far, I don't have pictures of the process just yet but if there's interest I will post them as the project continues!
Attached Images

auroraeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:02 PM   #2 
eatmice2010

$200 mwhahaha
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:03 PM   #3 
auroraeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmice2010 View Post
$200 mwhahaha
Costs more than $200 to build, unfortunately
Old 01-31-2013, 09:07 PM   #4 
Laki

Is it someone's special order? For something like that you could charge upwards and beyond 1000$. Especially with the hood and custom filter. Custom tanks are not cheap, and it's inclusive of cottage labour. You can charge whatever you like.
BTW, that will look so fantastic when it's built!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:07 PM   #5 
eatmice2010

True..true..... ok
$400 MWAHAHAHA
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:11 PM   #6 
auroraeyes

Not a special order, it's just something I had in a sketchbook for awhile as an easy guppy breeding setup actually. But I figured with the amount of fish enthusiasts on this site and others someone would be interested! I love building tanks, I've only ever had 1 custom design request though. Would love to do more.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:14 PM   #7 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

How much did you spend on material, if you don't mind me asking and how many hours you think you gonna put on the project
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:17 PM   #8 
auroraeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLBETHEJUDGE View Post
How much did you spend on material, if you don't mind me asking and how many hours you think you gonna put on the project
Materials cost around $320 (This is including filter, heating system, and light) I will probably put around 20 hours into it, it's hard to tell with something like this. The drilling of the holes is the most time consuming, so it could be up to 40ish? But I would not expect more than that
Old 01-31-2013, 09:32 PM   #9 
DiiQue

No one's going to be able to answer this correctly as we do not know how much your time is worth... I like where you are going with the design though and would like to see a completed product. I was looking at trying to find someone to commission a custom built tank when I move back to the U.S. later this year so may hit you up for something.

If your goal is to sell this in mass, you'd have to find ways to make it cheaper (either by using cheaper material or making the size smaller). Its a cool project though and I'd love to see the results when you complete it!

Last edited by DiiQue; 01-31-2013 at 09:37 PM.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:38 PM   #10 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

If I was you I will charge the cost of the material plus 25% and multiply that by 2 so that way if you break the tank by accident you will have enough to cover the cost of buying the material again and on top of that I would add whatever you want to make an hour.
That is what I do at my carpentry shop. But to be honest that would make that tank, the most expensive 20 gallon tank ever but than again is custom build so that makes it special.
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
custom tank, multiple setups, price, tank