Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #1 
Stark

Ragged fins?

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 Gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, but it needs to be replaced. It's got yuck on it. Replacing it tonight
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon mini pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 4 pellets, morning and night, fast 1 day per week

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Usually 60% once per week, but had to let it go 16 days while on vacation with treated water added as it evaporated
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 60% or so
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.4-7.6
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Other than his tail is kind of stringy/ragged, he seems fine.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? His bubble nest wasn't very big when we got home and he's possibly a bit less active.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 days ago, when we got home.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Young? We've had him for a couple of months.

I changed the water the day before we left and as soon as I got home. The pet sitter did not do anything with the water other than to add some as the level drops. I tested the water before I changed it when I got home and not only was it crystal clear, all levels were at 0.

He generally seems fine, but his tail/fins are a little torn up. I have a sponge over the filter intake so it's very unlikely that any damage occurred from that.

Also, he didn't fast while we were gone. He still flares at me, eats aggressively, swims around, and does normal fish stuff.

Any thoughts? Should I be doing anything? It seems totally strange to me that his water was perfect after 2 weeks.
Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Can you post a pic.....Are you sure he is not tail biting....

Since he is overall acting okay and unless he has rot, I would just do a clean water treatment for now and maybe turn the filter off. Sometimes, not always-even with a baffled filter-the water movement can be the cause of tattered fins-especially with the Long fin males.

Clean water treatment-daily 25% water changes for 7-10 days-water only and every 3 days-vacuum the substrate in all places you can reach without moving anything(Leaving him in the tank for water changes). Do you have any live plants, if so, how many and what species.

If you have a tannin source of either IAL or Oak leaf-add some whole to the tank.
Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #3 
Stark

I'll try for a picture tonight, but I'm having a heck of a time with the lighting in our living room and getting pictures of him.

There are no live plants, only silk.

I typically leave him in the tank for all water changes, but can easily do a 25% change daily for a while.

I'm not positive he isn't biting. I'm only home for a couple of hours in the evening so who knows what he gets up to during the day ;)

If I turn the filter off, will it affect the cycle?

Thanks!
Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Yes, without the filter to provide oxygen for the beneficial bacteria and some added surface area for them to colonize you can't support the nitrogen cycle, however, IMO/E filters are optional for this species and since this is a 5gal-even without live plants-it wouldn't change water changes needs all that much. While tattered fin are only cosmetic-due to an opening it can set him up for a secondary infection. You could also QT him in a small container that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain temp and leave the filter running-until we figure out what is going on-so that you can maintain the cycle-the tank should have enough organics to support it-provided that is was cycled to start with and since you don't have nitrate-your tank might not be cycled anyway-

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 02-01-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote