Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #1 
BettaPirate

Feeding Questions

So I had a three pellets in the morning and three pellets in the evening schedule going with Jack Sparrow for about 3 months that seemed to be working pretty well. Then about the same time I got Pablo Splashasso Jack started acting like he was still hungry. I know that these fish will eat themselves to death if given the chance but this isn't like that, he would get lethargic and just sit at the top and watch me and beg for more food which he had never done before.

Splashcasso has always been a big eater and will eat 6 to 7 pellets in less than a minute!

Neither of them has ever had bloat or excess poop or any health problems for that matter.

I am now feeding 4 to 5 pellets in the morning and 5 to 6 pellets at night, each, is this too much food for them?
BettaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #2 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaPirate View Post
So I had a three pellets in the morning and three pellets in the evening schedule going with Jack Sparrow for about 3 months that seemed to be working pretty well. Then about the same time I got Pablo Splashasso Jack started acting like he was still hungry. I know that these fish will eat themselves to death if given the chance but this isn't like that, he would get lethargic and just sit at the top and watch me and beg for more food which he had never done before.

Splashcasso has always been a big eater and will eat 6 to 7 pellets in less than a minute!

Neither of them has ever had bloat or excess poop or any health problems for that matter.

I am now feeding 4 to 5 pellets in the morning and 5 to 6 pellets at night, each, is this too much food for them?
usually people feed less, but if it is working for you go for it! Just watch for any changes in health/belly size, etc...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #3 
BettaPirate

Does the quality of food make a difference? I am waiting until I finish my bottle of Aqueon Betta pellets before I get the fancy stuff, the NLS stuff. I would think that the cheaper stuff that has more filler would make them eat less but I don't know much about fish food.
BettaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #4 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaPirate View Post
Does the quality of food make a difference? I am waiting until I finish my bottle of Aqueon Betta pellets before I get the fancy stuff, the NLS stuff. I would think that the cheaper stuff that has more filler would make them eat less but I don't know much about fish food.
Well if the food is really bad then you need to feed more usually to get proper nutrition. IMO Aqueon is fine and since betta fish eat such a small amount of food anyway, it shouldn't be much different. Maybe a couple less NLS pellets.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote