Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #1 
Homer16

Using heaters in plastic tanks?

I bought a 3 gallon LED and a 1 Gallon mini bow (the 1 gallon is temp until the new tank arrives in a couple weeks). I bought them without thinking....can I use a heater in them? The 3 gallon will have a 50 watt. The 1 gallon a 10 watt I believe.
Homer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #2 
RabidAliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer16 View Post
I bought a 3 gallon LED and a 1 Gallon mini bow (the 1 gallon is temp until the new tank arrives in a couple weeks). I bought them without thinking....can I use a heater in them? The 3 gallon will have a 50 watt. The 1 gallon a 10 watt I believe.
The heaters should be safe to use, though for the 50w heater in the 3 gallon I will warn that it will be AT LEAST 2 degrees off from what the heater's dial says if it's adjustable. A 25w heater us the recommended size for 3 tanks unless you can't find one. My 50w heater is fine in my 3 gallon tank, however I keep a close eye on the temperature as a precaution
RabidAliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:45 PM   #3 
Homer16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidAliver View Post
The heaters should be safe to use, though for the 50w heater in the 3 gallon I will warn that it will be AT LEAST 2 degrees off from what the heater's dial says if it's adjustable. A 25w heater us the recommended size for 3 tanks unless you can't find one. My 50w heater is fine in my 3 gallon tank, however I keep a close eye on the temperature as a precaution
What do you mean 3 degrees difference? I can set the heater lower if need be if its gunna be 3 degrees higher then what its set for
Old 02-05-2013, 12:29 AM   #4 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

As long as the heaters have thermostats then the strength of them should not matter because once they reach the set temperature they will turn off, the only real difference is that because it is a stronger heater it will reach the set temperature more quickly that a weaker heater.

It is fine to use heaters in plastic tanks the only thing you need to watch for is that the part of the heater that actually gets hot is not in contact with the side of the tank otherwise it may melt the area it is touching. You can buy heater safety guards from most pet shops to combat this problem as if this happens in a glass tank it can crack the glass. They are pretty cheap I think.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:07 AM   #5 
Homer16

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl View Post
Hey there,

As long as the heaters have thermostats then the strength of them should not matter because once they reach the set temperature they will turn off, the only real difference is that because it is a stronger heater it will reach the set temperature more quickly that a weaker heater.

It is fine to use heaters in plastic tanks the only thing you need to watch for is that the part of the heater that actually gets hot is not in contact with the side of the tank otherwise it may melt the area it is touching. You can buy heater safety guards from most pet shops to combat this problem as if this happens in a glass tank it can crack the glass. They are pretty cheap I think.
Heater is not touching the plastic :)