Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2013, 06:31 PM   #1 
Caii

Thumbs up Getting a 10 gallon! (Important Questions!)

Hey everyone! Caii and Bo here~

As most of you know, Bo's currently housed in a 2.5 gallon tank with a heater, thermometer, little stone decor and a plant with some gravel. Though he seems happy, I've been itching to give him more space for him to explore and live in (after all, a fish's world is his tank!) So, I found out that my friend's roommate is giving away her 10 gallon tank and some decor!!! I'm so excited and so psyched to get it tomorrow, even though I can't put Bo in it right away ^^

However, with a bigger tank size obviously comes bigger responsibility and more thought. I've NEVER had a filtered tank before, nor a tank of this magnitude at all. I've read a lot of the stickies here, but I still have some questions that I really, really need help with ASAP if possible:

1. What filter is the best for a 10 gallon? My entire budget at the moment is $20, but that may change. What do you recommend?

2. What sort of light system would you recommend? I've heard that a book light would be fine, but I'd like to get more input to it.

3. What can I use as a top for the tank, since it supposedly doesn't have one? I was thinking a screen top, but I'm unsure because I don't want dust to get into Bo's water!

Thank you so much for your input, and hopefully I can move Bo into a bigger space in no time! Thank you! ^^

Sincerely,
Caii and Bo
Caii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #2 
bettaisbetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caii View Post
Hey everyone! Caii and Bo here~

As most of you know, Bo's currently housed in a 2.5 gallon tank with a heater, thermometer, little stone decor and a plant with some gravel. Though he seems happy, I've been itching to give him more space for him to explore and live in (after all, a fish's world is his tank!) So, I found out that my friend's roommate is giving away her 10 gallon tank and some decor!!! I'm so excited and so psyched to get it tomorrow, even though I can't put Bo in it right away ^^

Hello, and welcome to the forum. :) My user is bettaisbetter, and I will happily give you my input on betta fish care.

However, with a bigger tank size obviously comes bigger responsibility and more thought. I've NEVER had a filtered tank before, nor a tank of this magnitude at all. I've read a lot of the stickies here, but I still have some questions that I really, really need help with ASAP if possible:

1. What filter is the best for a 10 gallon? My entire budget at the moment is $20, but that may change. What do you recommend?

I recommend sponge filters for any tank below 10G. I also like the AquaClear 20. It's always best to get a filter suited for capacity 2x your tank's original volume. This is the sponge filter I use for my 3.5, it's pretty big and strong and should be perfectly fine for a 10G with a betta as well. The link to the AC20 is right here. Remember to read about cycling in the "Betta Accessory" section. It's the sub-forum below "Betta Fish Care".

2. What sort of light system would you recommend? I've heard that a book light would be fine, but I'd like to get more input to it.

Do you want plants or no plants? For plants, a standard 6500k light CFL will be sufficient. You can find this in Walmart. Or for just aquarium lighting, full spectrum hoods will do great. Search in Petco or Petsmart.

3. What can I use as a top for the tank, since it supposedly doesn't have one? I was thinking a screen top, but I'm unsure because I don't want dust to get into Bo's water!

Aqueon Full Spectrum Hoods are great! Link right here. I have one for my 20G and it's so bright. :D

Thank you so much for your input, and hopefully I can move Bo into a bigger space in no time! Thank you! ^^

Sincerely,
Caii and Bo

I hope you and Bo will have a happy, healthy life together. :)
bettaisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #3 
fishy314

Location: I wonder how long and boring this location can be before bettafish.com makes me stop typing this sen
+1 @above. I agree.
fishy314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #4 
Caii

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaisbetter View Post
I hope you and Bo will have a happy, healthy life together. :)
Thank you so much for your input, and thank you so much for your well-wishes! ^^
You've helped me immensely~ I have absolutely no idea as to what I'm doing! XD

As to the lighting, yes, I do have a plant- it's an Anubias Nana plant (they don't like a lot of light, so I've heard.) Would the lighted hood be alright for the plant?

And thank you once again for your valuable information and your help!!!! ^^
Old 02-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #5 
bettaisbetter

It's true anubias plants are low light, I'm pretty sure the hood light I recommended will be enough. And no problem.
bettaisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:34 AM   #6 
Hallyx
Reference Team

A 23W 6500K bulb will grow anything a beginner would plant in a 10g_ Anubias, Java fern Java moss, Wisteria, swords etc. A desklamp with a 23W curly CFL is what I use. Float some of the Anubias and/or Wisteria for topcover and resting in.

If you're not too concerned with appearance, cover the top of your tank with cling film (Saran Wrap). It's better and cheaper than a hood. Betta like warm moist air to breath.

The Hydro sponge filter that BisB recommends is among the best.

Last edited by Hallyx; 02-04-2013 at 03:37 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:12 AM   #7 
Caii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
A 23W 6500K bulb will grow anything a beginner would plant in a 10g_ Anubias, Java fern Java moss, Wisteria, swords etc. A desklamp with a 23W curly CFL is what I use. Float some of the Anubias and/or Wisteria for topcover and resting in.

If you're not too concerned with appearance, cover the top of your tank with cling film (Saran Wrap). It's better and cheaper than a hood. Betta like warm moist air to breath.

The Hydro sponge filter that BisB recommends is among the best.
Wow, thank you for the plant advice!
I would have never thought of the saran wrap... but it sounds better than buying a hood! XD
Old 02-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #8 
Fishybitty

Caii- There are also these lids http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

They are farely cheap, I tried one for mine. I liked it, but I had to return it because my 10 gallon tank size was slightly larger. Be sure to measure!
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 gallon, bo the betta, caii, questions