Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #1 
nickthenuge

breeding question

i conditioned my pair of betta for a week and a half and i released the female for a good 30 mins they were just doing the usual chase, then i checked on them and she was fighting him is that normal ?
nickthenuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Well, you should condition for at least two weeks. When did you buy them? Are there plenty of good hiding spots? And it may be normal, sometimes the female is aggressive.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #3 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

There will be chasing and biting both will most likely to lose a few chunks.
Do not remove the female now hat you have released her mine took two days together both times other members do it faster or slower.
Matt- it was recommended to condition for two weeks but you must remember that all fish are different many females swell with eggs in two days others take the full two weeks, some you must feed high protein items others like mine will get eggy of pellets lol. When I did my spawn my female was conditioned for about 4 days before she literally looked as if she might explode :o

I hope that you, nickthenuge did your research have a suitable pair and are prepared with cultures, jars, grow pits IAL, ect otherwise you might as well remove you female and get he proper supplies.

And please I pray you are not irresponsibly mass breeding vt's.
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #4 
aemaki09

Yeah it's completely normal. It's expected to have torn fins and some missing scales, but if either one gets too aggressive, then it's time to pull them and recondition, or use another female.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:38 AM   #5 
Myates

Conditioning time does vary, as mentioned.. 7-10 days is really common that I see around a lot.

How did you condition them?

Fighting is normal - usually it's the male after the female to get her submissive.. keep an eye on them.. nipping of fins is normal, but she shouldn't be taking chunks out of his body. Some flaring back at the male is normal, but ideally you want her to turn and run right after flaring.

When you released her, was she full of eggs? Was she being submissive to the male (head down, if darker color you would see her "breeding stripes", curving body into an S position, etc)?

How long have they been together? I have seen them take anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 weeks to breed... but if she is not showing signs of becoming submissive and is fighting instead of flirting, you may want to consider placing her in the container you had her in while she was separated from him in the breeding tank.. give him time to build back confidence and her to become fully submissive.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Were they flirting . . . both of them, not only one. If they started by flirting and then fight, it is possible that the female is actually a male. Male - female usually won't fight if they flirt (unless one becomes stressed - but it's always a one way fight). If both are in breeding mode, each may take "sucker" bites, but won't fight.

Another reason might have been that only one was in breeding mode while the other was in fighting mode. Both have to swim all over the tank in an "S" or wriggly fashion. If the "leader" is flirting (male) but the follower (female) is in fighting mode, they will eventually fight.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #7 
inareverie85

Depends on the girl. I have girls from a great US breeder, but her girls are known for not taking any crap from the males! Lol. I had to separate a pairing between one of my girls from her line and an import dragon, because the girl basically beat the tar out of him.

It can happen.
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #8 
GhostFeather

I had a pair of Crowntails that were conditioned for 2 weeks on BlackWorms and WhiteWorms.
The female tore him to shreds,I removed him because I thought she would kill him,could not even tell he was a Crowntail when I removed him!
He was scared to death of her,I found him hiding the plants.
Put her with a different male and everything worked out fine.
Both Males were Black Orchids,so it was not a color thing,she just hated that one!
Go figure!!
Bill
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, some females can be quite aggressive.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:53 AM   #10 
Myates

I have a female that has learned to grab onto a male's fins as soon as she is released from the holding jar - regardless how ready she is, she latches on and eats her way up his fins to his body and holds on tight. Poor males swim around like mad - I physically have to remove her and as soon as I do, she goes right back onto the male before I can take out my hands to grab a container to snag her in. She has caused at least one male to be afraid of all females..

Silly females -.-

She is my worse one of the bunch.. the others are pretty gentle and easy going.. I *may* attempt her again in a month or so once she is a bit older, see if she settles down a bit. She already has a new home she will be going to this spring/summer.. hopefully dramaqueen can handle her lol. She's cute, which she uses to her advantage :P
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote