Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #1 
Hadoken Kitty

Potential Mates Advice

I don't plan on breeding until I have much more time/funds to devote to it. HOWEVER. I would like some advice.

This is my new male, Double-O-Bubbles (he hasn't arrived yet). I was thinking that a nice girl for him would be a solid white HM. Or maybe even a SDet to breed out the OHM in my male. I particularly like the EE trait, but I've read that this is recessive, so not having it isn't a huge deal. However, he has bright colors, and I thought that black would really bring them out. Double-O-Bubbles already has white, though. Sooo, I was thinking that would just add yet another color, which isn't exactly what I'm wanting. This is what I had in mind thus far for an actual game plan if everything were perfect in my world:

OHM Lavender Butterfly Male (Double-O-Bubbles) X HMEE Solid White Female.

In a perfect world, or in my mind's perfect world, this would keep the Lavender Butterfly markings, and cause the body itself to lighten.

Any thoughts and/or advice? Any and all is accepted!

Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #2 
Hadoken Kitty

By advice, I meant female pairs. This is what I've found on aquabid. I particularly like the third one.

1.) Black
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1359783298

2.) White
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1359929946

3.) Similar coloring w/ white body
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1360080321
Old 02-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #3 
MediBedi

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
By advice, I meant female pairs. This is what I've found on aquabid. I particularly like the third one.

1.) Black
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1359783298

2.) White
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1359929946

3.) Similar coloring w/ white body
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1360080321
From what I read somewheres.. I thought black female bettas were infertile?
MediBedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #4 
Hadoken Kitty

Oh wow really? Well that makes things easier, lol.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #5 
MediBedi

Just looked it up again. But yea Pure Black female bettas are infertile while Black Lace female bettas are fertile. (May have some iridescent of another color most commonly royal blue)
Example - black orchids
MediBedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #6 
Hadoken Kitty

Hm. I was contemplating re-stating my look for a black lace female, but now I know that I should. Still looking at breeding info. Again, I want to gather more info. I just want to have a nice pair. Still need the male here with me to begin with, too!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:27 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Melano (true) blacks are infertile- they produce a protein in their eggs that doesn't allow the fry to develop properly. Your male is a rosetail, so you may want to reconsider spawning him out of fears of defects.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:42 PM   #8 
Hadoken Kitty

Even if I'm not looking for show, but only for pet purposes? In defects, would it only be in terms of tail design defect or serious defect spawns?

The reason I ask is because I have a love for rosetails, even though I know they're not highly approved of.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #9 
Myates

The white girl would be the only one out of the bunch that I would pair him with.. your guy has a short tail, is a feather/rose tail which means most of the fry would be culled..

The white female has a bit longer of a tail which could help bring out his a little.. worried about the anal fin being too long though..

The last girl looks to have some CT in her, that or some real messy fins.. add it with your boy's fins you will have some messed up fins.

Not trying to be rude - but your boy needs a really clean, tight girl to help counteract his faults - if you are just going to sell them for pets locally, then the white girl will be fine, just don't expect a lot of breeders buying them or people spending a fair amount of money for them. Rosetails/feather tails tend to have a lot of deformity in their offspring.. that type of tail is a deformity, but people will get them because they look pretty.. but they aren't something breeders breed with.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #10 
Hadoken Kitty

All I was planning on was breeding for pet purposes. So maybe a smaller finned female if what I should be looking for?