Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2013, 09:49 AM   #1 
HopeNicholson

Didnt expect to buy another male...

So I went to Petsmart to buy a 20g long tank for my girls, they've been in a 10g but I though it was about time I have their sorority more space. Anyway I was gonna buy one or two more females for the upgraded sorority, but they didnt have any females that caught my eye.

Instead this male caught my eye, a dragon scale crowntail. I currently have him in the girls old 10g tank. I haven't named him yet cause I don't want to name him until he's more comfortable. He's insanely shy and runs away if I get close sometimes, so he normally says at the bottom of the tank 90% of the time. So feeding him is pretty darn difficult. I'm hoping he gets better in the next few days, naturally I worry I bought him sick, but I've been watching him and he looks fine. He's also able to move quickly and doesnt show any signs of being lethargic when i watch him whoosh around when he thinks im not there. He's my 13th betta (all are still alive) and I've never had one this shy and unsure about everything. I'm hoping its a normal thing for them sometimes?

I just hope he perks up soon, I adore him and would hate anything bad to happen to him!
Attached Images

HopeNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:03 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

He does not quite look dragonscale to me... Actually more like grizzle, a really interesting color combination too!! Kind of reminds me of blue jeans

I have had some males who took a long time to adjust. Since he is in a 10 gallon VS a small cup, it'll take some time for him to realize it is okay. Just allow him tons of stuff to explore and hide under :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:10 AM   #3 
HopeNicholson

Yeah I have to buy him more decor for his tank tomorrow since there's only one thing in there at the moment (the girls got all the decor lol). Petsmart had him as a dragonscale but I did notice he didnt shine like any others, but he does shine a little in the sun.

But yea I'm hoping he's just in severe confusion from the cup to 10g transfer. Thanks for the reply, having some back-up positivity does make me feel better about him :)
Old 01-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

My delta and super delta were halfmoons xD One halfmoon was a dragonscale but was not labelled as such lol. He is still pretty neat :p Love the blue and orange combo... That has not been seen here for quite a while.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:22 AM   #5 
HopeNicholson

Yup, dragonscale or not I do indeed still love him! As many times as I've been to Petsmart and Petco I've neeeeeever seen his combination before. I usually only see ones like him on Aquabids. Just can't wait until he's comfortable cause I'm sure his colors will show a bit more then! I just feel so darn lucky to have found him, cause if I didn't jump in and buy him he probably would've just died in that dirty cup.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:25 AM   #6 
Sena Hansler

More than likely, which sucks. I've found really nice bettas before and passed them up... Like the lavender and orange dalmation boy x.x
Old 01-31-2013, 10:37 AM   #7 
HopeNicholson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
More than likely, which sucks. I've found really nice bettas before and passed them up... Like the lavender and orange dalmation boy x.x
Same! I passed up a veiltail boy once that was pink with orange fins. He's was SO cute and I still regret not getting him.

Also do you have any advice on how to feed my new guy? Can't get him to come up for food so it's very difficult -.-
Old 01-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #8 
Sena Hansler

For my scaredy cats, I tend to still offer them food. I let the food sink in front of their noses. El, my dumbo, is still shy. I may give him a 5 gallon stuffed to the brim xD Which will help.

I also would try... Live foods, frozen foods, soaked in garlic juice, and a variety of pellets to see if they'll take it. I have had fellas who take 2 weeks to eat.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #9 
aemaki09

To help him with the adjustment i would lower the water level to like 1/3 the way, and slowly increase it over a couple of weeks time.
He may just be so used to a cup that he doesn't know what to think about so much space.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:14 PM   #10 
HopeNicholson

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
To help him with the adjustment i would lower the water level to like 1/3 the way, and slowly increase it over a couple of weeks time.
He may just be so used to a cup that he doesn't know what to think about so much space.
Good idea! I have it about halfway right now, I'll take a couple gallons out and gradually increase the amount over a couple weeks like you said. Hopefully that'll help! :)