Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2013, 01:43 AM   #1 
RuniChan

Mean Betta or acting wierd?

So one of my Betta's, Yoshi, is a.... fairly aggressive fish, he flares easily at everything. But that's pretty normal, what I'm worried about is how at night or his personal bedtime when he's on the tank ground sleeping. Okay sure, that's where he usually likes to sleep.... Then I glance over and he-- out of the blue-- darts to the surface of the water then right back down like some kinda predator is on his anal fin. Or he'll dart like a madfish from one end of the tank to the other and then up to the surface and then pretend nothing happened... is this normal?

My other betta have their own personalities but have never darted or anything unless something spooks them. I'm a new betta owner, should I be worried about Yoshi?
RuniChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:48 AM   #2 
Stone

No, they all do their own weird things, one of mine swims around in short burts flaring constantly, sure he is in a divided tank but he did this when he was in a tank by himself now it seems more normal.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:51 AM   #3 
RuniChan

haha that's good to know.... This one.... I just don't love him as much as the other two, Naruto and Sasuke... I just.... dunno techinically he's still my cousins' fish and I just got stuck with caring for him too so that might be it... XDD
Old 02-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #4 
sainthogan

It sounds likes he's sleeping, suddenly realizes he needs a breath of air and darts up to get it and then wants to back to sleep as soon as possible. My male does that too, he darts up as fast as possible, takes a big gulp of air and goes back to where he was sleeping. The do breathe surface air, so that's most likely what your guy is doing.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #5 
Aroe

A good idea would get him a silk leaf or something attached to the side so he can sleep closer near the top (:
Aroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #6 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroe View Post
A good idea would get him a silk leaf or something attached to the side so he can sleep closer near the top (:
I agree with that, but the fish may still prefer to sleep on the bottom. I have a live Lilly plant with big, broad leaves reach to the surface, that my male lounges on in the daytime but at night, he sleeps in his pineapple or in front of it on the gravel.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #7 
RuniChan

haha yeah, I'm gunna run out today and get silk leaves and a suction cup and such to make one for Yoshi and one for the other two also, see if they'll use it/like it. I don't trust the ones they sell in the stores from what people tell me, with exposed metal.