Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2013, 11:39 PM   #1 
cdouglas93

10 and 30 Gallon - what to do

Just today I received a 30g tank (with accessories) and a stand that can fit both the 30 and current 10 gallon.

I currently have a 10 gallon in the process of cycling and inside have a 3 spotted cories and a young male betta. I then have a 5 gallon with just a female betta. Before I got this 30g I was planning on switching the male and female when I was able to do a sorority in the near future.

Now what i'm getting at is I'm now planning on turning the 30g into the sorority but now I'm not entirely sure what all I should do with my ten or even my 30 other than having a sorority. I was thinking 5 or 6 girls along with some cories or soemthing else. In the 10 gallon I'm thinking of maybe doing a community with the male.

Any advice as to what fish I could use to fill up my tanks in a very entertaining yet beautiful way? Anything is useful.
cdouglas93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:38 AM   #2 
billysurf

bettas are very territorial males, females can live together, you can put a male and 10 female pole without any problem, but you have to put first the male and then the female, compared to other fish and is a taste of consumer, a greeting
visit...http://billysurfbettas.blogspot.com.es/
billysurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #3 
cdouglas93

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysurf View Post
bettas are very territorial males, females can live together, you can put a male and 10 female pole without any problem, but you have to put first the male and then the female, compared to other fish and is a taste of consumer, a greeting
visit...http://billysurfbettas.blogspot.com.es/
You kinda lost me on this reply. I'm not putting the male and female together. The male will be going in my 10 gallon with a community that is able to go with him while the female in due time will be going in the 30 gallon when I am able to get more females for a sorority.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #4 
Shirleythebetta

In a space like a thirty you could put a couple more girls than that in there and add five or six cories? depending on your preference. Have you ever had a sorority before? I am not sure about a ten, I have never had a male in a community tank so hopefully someone else will comment on that for you. I don't want to advise what I don't know about.

Hey your an Ohioan too!
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #5 
cdouglas93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
In a space like a thirty you could put a couple more girls than that in there and add five or six cories? depending on your preference. Have you ever had a sorority before? I am not sure about a ten, I have never had a male in a community tank so hopefully someone else will comment on that for you. I don't want to advise what I don't know about.

Hey your an Ohioan too!
I had one male betta before in a 30 gallon hex community tank with some mollies and a platty but sadly he ended up getting sick and passing away (I wasn't experienced with Betta nor experienced with dealing with sick fishies. This was over a year ago.

So in other words no this will be my first sorority and I've been doing a lot of research on it so I'm pretty excited especially now that I have a 30g. I slept on it and now I think I'm just going to keep my set up how it is which is my male in the 10 gallon and my female in the 5 gallon until I can get these three other females from a lady on here in which Ill switch the male and female.

While I do this I'm going to slowly set up my 30 gallon in which I want to do real plants. When I am finally finished and satisfied with my 30g I will then of course switch my females into the 30 gallon and my male into the 10 gallon and add on from there (well I'll add more females when I switch)

And yeah born and raised in good ole' NEohio.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #6 
callistra

In a 10g you could do a betta with 6-7 neon tetras.

If I had a 30g I'd get a fancy goldfish, but then again I've always wanted one so..

The 30g would make a nice sorority for bettas. Things like smaller corys, mollies, tetras and platys work...dwarf gourami.. If you want more sensitive fish we'd need more info on your water.

Are you wanting tropical or cold water? What is the ph and gh of your water?

Last edited by callistra; 01-13-2013 at 11:25 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #7 
Shirleythebetta

A thirty gallon sorority would be awesome set up with loads of plants and such. That is really cool. I'm a Central ohioan. Born and raised as well. lol Sororities are very worth the hassle and it seems like your original stocking plan may be a good idea when your just starting out. And when you feel more confident you can try adding a few more. I have a twenty gallon long sorority. Good luck.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #8 
cdouglas93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
A thirty gallon sorority would be awesome set up with loads of plants and such. That is really cool. I'm a Central ohioan. Born and raised as well. lol Sororities are very worth the hassle and it seems like your original stocking plan may be a good idea when your just starting out. And when you feel more confident you can try adding a few more. I have a twenty gallon long sorority. Good luck.
What do you have in your sorority? What do you think is a good mixture of plants and fish in a 30g?
Old 01-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #9 
cdouglas93

I'm a newbie and atm I'm still mid-cycle with my ten gallon and don't even have my 30 gallon set up.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #10 
Shirleythebetta

I'm not sure about plants. I'm kind of an aquatic plant killer. Only thing I can keep alive it marimos. Currently I keep about twelve girls in there with lots of fake plant an oto and a some albino bronze cories. I also have lots of water filtration. I wouldnt worry about that too much with your setup because you are going to be way understocked, not in a bad way i think. I dont recommend otos they aren't easy for beginners which is why this guy is alone now. I got three two years ago and lost two. They need groups and a fully cycled tank.