Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #1 
shoelace

new petco babies! :0

So my boyfriend and I were in petco last night right before they closed, and I saw a greenish baby I really fell in love with, who wasn't even THAT small, most of them were a decent size and their colors were starting to come in. But then I saw the most pathetic derp ever it was so sad D':
It was just a little weenie sitting in the bottom of his cup not moving, he was a lot smaller and less colored than the rest and I just felt so bad for him... So I got them both!

I've been feeding them First Bites, and they're actually eating it! At first the tiny one wouldn't eat, and I was nervous he'd be dead when I woke up this morning, but he was actually doing awesome and eating! I think because of the heater.
I just bought some frozen baby brine this morning so I'll see if they want some of that today since they don't seem to have a problem with non live food.
Here they are! Derp 1 and Derp 2!

shoelace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #2 
Viva

Hahahahahaa! Derp 1 and Derp 2 I love it! They look pretty skinny, especially the second one! Get them nice and fat and I'm sure they'll turn out to be beautiful!
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #3 
HopeNicholson

Greatest. Names. Ever.

That teeny tiny one is the cutest thing I've ever seen, even cuter then my Petco baby :D please keep us updated on them with pictures, I have to see how these adorable Derpy babies end up looking! :)
HopeNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #4 
aemaki09

Yeah, please keep us updated!
Frozen Baby brine should help them fatten up, has a lot of nutritional content, I'd feed it atleast a couple times a week. Also, I know you said they are eating first bites, but crushing regular pellets might be more nutritional than the hikari, and they look like they need all they can get.
Goodluck!!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #5 
Kwomais

LAWL! My sister's naming her puppy Derp. Great names!
Kwomais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #6 
shoelace

Thanks guys! The only problem I'm having so far is that without the divider in the tank, the little one Derp 2 gets really uncomfortable looking. But, the divider the tank came with, is totally black opaque. The plastic mesh I have and used for another betta tank divider I made has too big a grid for the babes. So what I'm getting at is.. with the divider in the heater only fits on one side at a time and gets one side pretty warm and nice but the other side's a little colder, so I swap it back and forth from time to time.

They're doing good though, eating a lot, being fatties. Typical babies.. lol
Old 02-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #7 
Skyrocket Moon

They are cute cant wait to see how the derps turn out!
Skyrocket Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #8 
aemaki09

If you add a bubbler or a filter of some sort it will help circulate the heat. Just a thought
Old 02-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #9 
shoelace

Both of the babies have horizontal stripes... which means they're stressed correct? Is it because I change the water 100% every night?
They're in a half gallon heated rectangular long tank, with an opaque separator... Do I need to get them a bigger tank? I only have them in this because they're such pipsqueaks right now but I don't want them to be unhappy D:
Old 02-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #10 
aemaki09

not always, babies normally keep stress stripes for the first couple months as part of their camoflauge to hide from bigger fish.
I would still do the water changes if you keep them in the tank they are in. If possible I would think about moving them though, just because of growth stunting hormones and that they need really clean warm water to keep their growth rate up.