Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #1 
alunjai

Male eating eggs???

My pair had a spawn yesterday (around 50-70 eggs??) and after taking the female out the male moved the eggs into one spot. This morning the eggs were in a pile but every time I check it seems to be getting less and less eggs. I'm not sure if the male is eating the eggs or if he's been spreading them around the nest.

Will the male eat the eggs? I'm considering taking him out in case he eats them all. If I do will the fry survive without the father tending the first few days after their hatching?
alunjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Males eat eggs for many reasons. The most common reason I have come across in my experience is that the eggs are not fertilized or the female is a dud.

They also eat the eggs if the environment is not deemed good enough for fry.

They may also eat the eggs if there are too many.

They also eat the eggs if it is their first time.

Lastly they can eat the eggs if they are bad dads.
Removing him is up to you. I found most of my males are actually great dads, and that the female is either a dud or I end up with WAY too many fry, and the father knew that.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #3 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

He will take the eggs in his mouth and move them around the nest this stopping them from getting fungus he will also eat all unfertilized / bad eggs.
Hope this helped :)
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #4 
Chard56

Make sure he isn't putting them high up in the bubbles. Sometimes I'm surprised with the number of fry I end up with because I couldn't see them for all the bubbles. If you do decide to remove the male, the eggs and fry will be fine; even if they fall to the bottom most will hatch anyway. I had to take a male out last week and was very pleased to see the eggs hatch and the fry hanging tail down in what was left of the nest. They are very strong as none were seen falling to the bottom and struggling back to the top like other spawns I've had. Siphoning the water down to about an inch and a half will help so the fry do not have to struggle swimming back to the surface.
Chard56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #5 
alunjai

sorry sena, what does dud mean?

This is both their first spawn. He seemed to tend the eggs well until this evening. Now there seems to be a few left :(
Old 02-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Dud, meaning no good.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Infertile can be another word :) I have one (so sad...) but have 17 fry from her anyways. Duds can be ones who result in little or no fry. All the more reason, when breeding, to have more than one female.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #8 
alunjai

I have fries!!! I lifted the lid and noticed the black eyes. The dad is still tending them but not sure if I should take him out now. Last time I had fries they all disappeared the following day.

When they drop the don't move. Are they dead or is that normal? I think I saw some swimming near the surface but as soon as I noticed them I closed the lid in case I disturbed him too much.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

They may be weak or dead but if they are a good father will cull them for you. However some of mine have dropped down as if they were asleep. Eventually they do learn to get back up themselves.

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 02-03-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Congrats on your fry!! Good luck with them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggs, spawn