Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #1 
keeley146

Is this velvet?

I just took this picture of my betta. Does this look like velvet to you around his head/belly? If so, I want to treat it asap. He is currently in a 5 gallon tank. Should I treat him there or move him to my smaller 1.5gal tank? His 5 gal tank has live plants in it and I dont want to kill them, but at the same time want to make sure if there is anything bad on them, that it gets killed too. Advice appreciated, I'm a novice.
Attached Images

Last edited by keeley146; 02-02-2013 at 03:56 PM.
keeley146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #2 
valen1014

It's hard to tell, IMO. I'm sure people with more experience will comment soon. It might help them help you if you fill these out =]

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #3 
keeley146

Housing
What size is your tank? He was previously in a 1.5gal bowl w/ heater no filter. 4 days ago moved him to a 5 gal tank w/ filter, light and heater
What temperature is your tank? approx 80 degrees.
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes approx 80 degrees
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? freeze dried blood worms, have fasted him for past 2 days
How often do you feed your betta fish? daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? in the 1.5 gal tank, once every 2 weeks :( in the new 5 gal tank I haven't yet because its 4 days old.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? in the 1.5 gal tank he used to live in, I would do 100% changes
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Betta H2O conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? his fins aren't as full as they used to be, his color has changed a bit and his face is a different color
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he is lethargic, for a while would just hang out on the bottom of the tank in the gravel, now he floats at the top, slightly on his side. He doesn't flare at all. His fins are clamped.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? the sitting at the top of tank on his side for the past 3 days or so. hanging out on the bottom before that for a couple weeks. I just shined a flash light on him today and that's when I thought he might have velvet so I wanted an opinion from someone who knows more than me. :)
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? he seemed healthy when we got him, not sure
How old is your fish (approximately)? we got him 5 mo ago, not sure how old he was when we got him
Old 02-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #4 
callistra

So when you changed him to the 5g tank did you do a 100% change? Did the water temperature change during this time too? How did you acclimate him?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #5 
keeley146

I put the water from his old tank into the new one and then we filled it with tap water and made it the same temp as previous. I have never done anything to aclimate him when I did water changes. I will be doing that from here forward though. I'm trying to remember if we did water conditioner when we put him in the new tank and I'm thinking we might have forgotten that. Normally I change his tank by myself and this time my husband was helping. I will have to ask him if we did that or not. Yesterday we did put stress coat in the water.

When we first put him in the new tank, we used the old heater which wasnt powerful enough so his water temp dropped to about 72 degrees. We got an appropriate heater and now it's up to 80 degrees.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #6 
keeley146

Bump! Anyone? No one has given me an opinion if this is velvet.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #7 
sainthogan

Yes, it looks like velvet to me. When a fish has something like that, you need to treat the whole tank. So you could put him in the smaller tank while he's getting better. But in the other tank, you can kill it by making it very dark (covering it is fine) and then turning up the heat. Since there is no fish in there, it won't be able to reproduce, but turning up the heat will speed up the life cycle of those free floating in the tank and the dark will kill them. This technically should be enough to kill off the parasite in the empty tank without harming your plants.
Keep in mind that the cold, dirty water from before is what caused him to become infested, so if you put him back in the smaller tank, you're going to need a heater and be changing the water everyday. To effectively treat velvet with the medication, you need dark - so cover his tank, and heat. (Like I stated above for the empty tank). I have treated with live plants in the tank, and they were ok, so this may be an option for you, but you will need to keep the tank dark until your fish is healed.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #8 
keeley146

Thank you Sainthogan! I dont have an adjustable heater and i can only get my tank to about 80 degrees. do you think addingmy other small heater for a 1-3 gallon tank might help bump the temp up a bit more? So put 2 small heaters in the tank? Is there a best medicine to treate velvet, or will any ich medicine do?
Old 02-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #9 
callistra

Feeding worms are like feeding candy or potato chips.. he needs better nutrition too.. a pellet whose first two or three ingredients are whole fish, not fish meal or wheat.

IDK I've never seen Velvet look like that..

How's he doing?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #10 
keeley146

He's hanging in there. He has popeye now. :( I'm treating him with coppersafe right now and debating adding maracyn and maracyn 2 to that. He is eating, but refuses pellets. He will readily eat the freeze dried bloodworms. I'm not sure if now is the time to force him to starve or eat the pellets or wait until I know he's healthier.