Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2013, 11:11 PM   #11 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveMyFish View Post
For water changes, I use a clean food thermometer to ensure the new water is the same temp as the old, move Pookie to a bowl with the old water I plan to keep, rinse off the gravel and fake grass, add the new water to the tank and then Pookie goes in with the old water.
This can cause a shock to his system. Plus, it adds the old, icky water into the new.

To acclimate properly:
  1. Note the temperature of the water.
  2. Using a plastic cup, scoop Pookie, along with some of his water, into the cup.
  3. Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp.
  4. Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min.
  5. Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
  6. Let Pookie float for about 10 min.
  7. Remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
  8. Repeat steps 5-7, until about an hour has passed.
  9. Gently release Pookie into the tank.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:33 AM   #12 
SaveMyFish

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'm feeling good about the trip to the pet store tomorrow to sort it all out and set Pookie straight.
SaveMyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:42 AM   #13 
Saphira101

Good luck!!!!!
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #14 
SaveMyFish

Okay...so quick update. I got a bit sick and my went to store with my son this AM with my list in hand, but the store simply didn't have everything the good people on this forum recommended. We did get some Betta Revive, a new heater (just researched it and it's not a good one so we'll be fixing that issue shortly) as well as a pH test kit (tested at 7.5 or so), and some aquarium salt. They only carried the same wardley food so my wife picked up some frozen treats and we'll be making another trip out to find the brands you guys recommended. Water has been changed (50%) and temp is settling in around 80 degrees. Ammonia has been tested and treated as well. We also picked up the leaf hammock and installed that after removing the metal wire as recommended by NorthernLights.

All in all, I would call it a small success that's already showing some improvements in activity level. We will offer Pookie a frozen treat after my son wakes up from his nap. Hopefully he'll be ready to eat by then.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #15 
NorthernLights

The reality is that PetsMart and Petco have big selections. There are LFS (local fish stores) that can be better, but those are harder to find.

Both PetsMart and Petco will have the API Freshwater Master test kit. It's about $35.

For the heater, in a smaller tank, your best bet may be a Hydor Theo 25 watt. It's small enough to fit in nearly any tank, even a 1-gallon, and it is adjustable. The downside is that you will almost certainly have to order it. You might find a LFS that carries it, but you will have to call around. If you do go with a larger tank, both Petco and PetsMart have 50watt adjustable heaters but those need to be in tanks more like 5 gallons+, unless you have a very cold house.

Don't put medications in that tank yet. Betta Revive is made with malachite green, which is harsh on your fish's system. It's more for treating something like Ick (which is a very specific parasite infection).

What else do you have in the tank? Did you get a glass thermometer? Do you have plants in there? Gravel? Helping us to understand your tank better will help us to help you better.
NorthernLights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #16 
SaveMyFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLights View Post
The reality is that PetsMart and Petco have big selections. There are LFS (local fish stores) that can be better, but those are harder to find.

Both PetsMart and Petco will have the API Freshwater Master test kit. It's about $35.

For the heater, in a smaller tank, your best bet may be a Hydor Theo 25 watt. It's small enough to fit in nearly any tank, even a 1-gallon, and it is adjustable. The downside is that you will almost certainly have to order it. You might find a LFS that carries it, but you will have to call around. If you do go with a larger tank, both Petco and PetsMart have 50watt adjustable heaters but those need to be in tanks more like 5 gallons+, unless you have a very cold house.

Don't put medications in that tank yet. Betta Revive is made with malachite green, which is harsh on your fish's system. It's more for treating something like Ick (which is a very specific parasite infection).

What else do you have in the tank? Did you get a glass thermometer? Do you have plants in there? Gravel? Helping us to understand your tank better will help us to help you better.
Yeah...I realize now you're right about the bigger stores having the selection. We had a very busy day and being sick, we had to use what the wife got this AM and fix it up again tomorrow.

I've seen the Hydor thermometer and have had my eye on it, perhaps I'll order one. Wish we had seen this earlier...we already added the revive, and yes I can certainly see the color. On the upside, Pookie is doing much better since we added it...he actually ate a small piece of the Wardley, even tho he ignored the frozen bloodworm earlier. Either way, tomorrow is another trip to Petsmart to buy the API, new food, and possibly a new heater.

We did get a glass thermometer, and the new leaf hammock this AM for Pookie as well as an ammonia gauge that sits in the tank and a pH tester. The pH was okay at 7.5, but ammonia was a little high..we fixed that with something my wife got at the other store this AM as well, AmQuel. We have a little gravel, maybe an inch or so, and two small ornaments. We had some fake grass, just a few small squares, but it seemed to be too much for the tank so we left it out after the most recent water change. Thinking about some of the betta bulbs I saw at Petsmart last time I was in there...good idea? I heard it helps keep the water healthy...true?

So all said, you kind folks have already helped out a ton...Pookie ate, even if it was just a tiny bite, so things seem to be improving. Any more info, pointers, suggestions you might have are very much appreciated, and I'll keep you updated as to my progress at the big box pet store tomorrow.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #17 
anthonyt20

I don't know if anyone else posted it but did you use a water conditioner?
tap water has dangerous chlorine and other substances that can kill a fish, if someone else posted it disregard :)
anthonyt20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #18 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hi there sounds like your on the right track with Pookie. Yes live plants are great for your tank and helps with water issues such as ammonia but you still need to do the water changes . The Amquel is fine but may only detox the ammonia for 24 to 46 hours then you need to do a water change and add more. I use Prime Water conditioner its great and detoxes the ammonia for 48 hours and also removes more harmful issues with your water and its only 2 drops per gallon. People around here really love the Prime as do I.

Do you have a light on your tank ? Live plants need a good light to grow or just stay alive. Best of wishes to you and your son and to Pookie !!!
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #19 
SaveMyFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyt20 View Post
I don't know if anyone else posted it but did you use a water conditioner?
tap water has dangerous chlorine and other substances that can kill a fish, if someone else posted it disregard :)
Yeah, we have one, I understand it's not top of the line and I do plan to get a better conditioner, but until tomorrow, it's all we have. The local pet store had a relatively small selection...surprising for a store that sells so many fish, not to mention birds, prairie dogs, sloths...that's right, sloths.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #20 
Xaltd1

Sloths?? Where do you live? In MA, it's illegal to own/buy any animal but the usual pets. Plus, only pet stores can sell them... no dime-store goldfish. (Somehow, I think the Betta has become the new dime-store goldfish: something to be purchased impulsively, then neglected and tossed, BUT that's a rant for another day.)
The best thing about the internet is that there are lots of sites that will sell you the best stuff on the market, often for less than you'd pay otherwise. Dr.s Foster & Smith is one site; there's another call "That Fish Place", and dozens of others. Just Google what you want ("Prime" is the gold standard water conditioner, plus API makes great product; I like "Quickstart") and you'll have lots of options. It may cost more, but 2-day shipping might help Pookie.
Please let us know how he's doing!
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote