Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #1 
AyalaCookiejar

Okami has dropsy :(

This isn't really a question, but one of my newest three girls, Okami, has dropsy. A couple days ago, while I was at school, the power went out. When I got home the water was still warming up but was only at 77 degrees when it's usually at 79, and Okami was acting funny.

Yesterday, her scales on her face only were raised and I could not figure out why, but today, all of her scales are raised. I am preparing for the worst but still hoping that maybe I can help her.

I've got her in epsom salts now and am going to add general cure and also try feeding her general cure in case the dropsy was caused by internal parasites. I have Kanaplex and pure metro coming on Wednesday, but I don't know if she will make it :(

She is my favorite of my three girls and I feel so bad and I probably could have prevented it. I was thinking about a back up generator a while back, but I never looked too far into it because they are pretty expensive, but now I wish I had. Her life would have been worth it.

She's still breathing, but is very lethargic and I think she may be about ready to go. She was still fighting last night and this morning but her efforts are fading. I'm hoping she'll survive by some miracle, but I'm not getting my hopes TOO high.

It's been like 10 years since I lost a fish. I've only had her since 1/11/13 but I will reallyy miss her if she doesn't make it :(
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

oh I am so sorry to hear about Okami having dropsy, I know what you are going through..... Secret one of my fave males has it too, I only noticed maybe three days ago. He had been acting odd laying on the bottom and really gasping, I tested the water over and over but all was fine and the other bettas which share his water were all happy as. I don't know what made me do it but I just happened to check him from above and there is slight scale protrusion around his belly area. I have only had him maybe 8 months and most of that time was spent battling fin rott. We finally beat that though and he went on to grow truly amazing fins (check out my post 'meet my boys' and you will see what I mean.

I am so down about it, feel so bad because there is not a lot to do about dropsy I really don't want to lose him but I know it will happen, I am so sorry about your poor little girl...... wishing you and Okami the best
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

I've seen him... I commented on that thread. He's the one who kind of looks like a spider, right?
I'm sorry :( dropsy is a scary think. There are a few things I never wanted to see in my lifetime of fish keeping, and dropsy is one of them.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #4 
Caii

I'm so sorry Ayala~ Bo and I are praying for you and Okami, and we send our love. Fingers crossed...

<: (
Caii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #5 
veggiegirl

Yeah that's right, Secret is the one that sort of reminds me of a spider his fins have got quite a bit larger since I took that photo......

Yeah I think Dropsy is usually a betta/fish keepers worst nightmare...... I had a betta years ago and he got dropsy.... I had never seen it before and did not know how serious it was....... after some research though I was feeling rather depressed. He died a few days later and I cried so much....... it was the first betta I had to die of a disease and I couldn't help but feel it was probably my fault.

I have lost a few to dropsy since then, it seems that no matter how well you care for them some bettas still get it. I have heard that it can also be hereditary. Poor Okami I really hope she is feeling better soon, when it comes to dropsy we can only really make them as comfortable as possible, Good luck with her though
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #6 
AyalaCookiejar

She's not moving or responding hardly at all. I wiggled something in the tank in front of her and she just swam to a different corner. She looks horrible. Her entire body looks like its twice the size as it normally is because the scales are sticking out so much. She's still in general cure. She tried eating the soaked pellets I gave her but spit them out... She probably ate a small piece of one of the pellets.

I will be amazed if she's still here by morning. They're all asleep now.

I had ordered Kanaplex and Metro last week for my male VT. Wish I had ordered it sooner... It won't be here until Wednesday.

I've never had a dragon scale before and was planning on ordering the rest of my girls from Chard56, all dragon scales. I want to name one of them Amaterasu after her... Okami is a video game that means goddess, and the main characters name is Amaterasu, a sun goddess. It was my second choice of a name for her and the names are pretty much synonymous.

If she survives by some miracle, she's going in my four gallon tank and not in my sorority tank. I know that dropsy usually reoccurs months later if its successfully treated... But I really don't think she will.

I think dropsy is an awfully "cutesy" name for an awfully horrible disease. It's a word I don't like hearing, ever, and its even worse once you have seen it in person in your own fish.. She isn't easy to look at. I thought by VT looked miserable when he was bloated and floating uncontrollably from internal parasites.