Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #1 
aemaki09

Would you still breed if......

So, I'm having a dilema here.

I recently bought some Blue Grizzle HM Juvies on AB -- They have good form, but really dont have the best finnage.

When I bought them I only saw pictures of the parents, and they both had great form and great fins.

What would you do -- breed because you know they have good quality in their lineage, or scrap the idea because they themselves dont have the best finnage?

The only thing I really see wrong is that the males first and last rays arent the longest, on the females they have good long rays, but dont make a wide enough spread.

I do/will have some other good looking HM's and HMPK's that I could use instead of them, but I love the coloring on these guys so I hate the idea of scrapping the idea.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

I guess it really depends on your goals, in your post though it sounds as though you would be disappointed if you do not breed with them so I would say why not give it a go.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #3 
aemaki09

I would be disappointed about spending money on them and not using them, but I would be more disappointed if every fry ended up being nothing more than pet quality and having spent all that time on raising then. The main reason I want to breed in the first place is to send some off to shows.

I would like as many opinions on this as I can get. If the majority of people would breed them I'd like to start conditioning as soon as possible.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:28 PM   #4 
Option

Of course I would breed them. The parents do not have to be flawless to justify trying to breed them. There is always some variance in the offspring. If breeding is successful and the number of fry is large enough then you will very likely find at least a few fry that have combined the best traits of the parents and have missed the bad traits of the parents.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:56 AM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

If you goal is to produce SQ, then they would most probably be a waste of your time. Like option said, you'd need a high percentage of fry to raise your chances. You might even have to work your way through to F2/3 to accomplish your goal.

Personally, I would breed them. IME though they're not SQ, but they carry their parent's genes. But then again when doing this I may breed them weekly and have lots of fry. Then I cull hard to reduce their numbers . . . . your choice.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #6 
aemaki09

Thanks everyone!
Posted via Mobile Device