Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #1 
Juicebox

help settin up a 55 gallon

im lookin into gettin a 55 gallon in a few months when i move to a bigger place.so far my biggest tank has only ever been a 20..

im lookin for options for buying such a big tank,id like a nice pretty stand,a hood with t5 lighting for growing nice big plants, a great reliable adjustable heater and a really good filter..

will i need an airstone to help water movement?or should i get one of the underwater fans i see in petco? not sure if in a tank 55 ill need help with water movement..

im not sure if i should get an in tank filter or a hang on back filter or a canister filter..what is best?? im thinking a canister filter but i dont know if that will be overkill for a 55, i havent seen any canisters that say they are for as small as 55..

ive seen in petco they sell different set ups,they had for sale an aqueon 55 with a cabinet stand and a hood. i cant remember the price but is this a good place to get the tank??

i think ill buy the heater and filter individually so i can get the best set up possible,any links or suggestions for everything i need will be reallhy appreciated..

im sayin 55 now but when i get to the store if i see a nice tank between 55 - 75 i could probly go within that size, i know i want a 55 minimum for sure
Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicebox View Post
im lookin into gettin a 55 gallon in a few months when i move to a bigger place.so far my biggest tank has only ever been a 20..

im lookin for options for buying such a big tank,id like a nice pretty stand,a hood with t5 lighting for growing nice big plants, a great reliable adjustable heater and a really good filter..

will i need an airstone to help water movement?or should i get one of the underwater fans i see in petco? not sure if in a tank 55 ill need help with water movement..
Depends on the fish you stock it with & the type of filter, the filter may generate enough water movement.

im not sure if i should get an in tank filter or a hang on back filter or a canister filter..what is best?? im thinking a canister filter but i dont know if that will be overkill for a 55, i havent seen any canisters that say they are for as small as 55.. Fluval 306 is what I have on my 46g . . . LOVE IT! petsolutions.com had the nest price.

ive seen in petco they sell different set ups,they had for sale an aqueon 55 with a cabinet stand and a hood. i cant remember the price but is this a good place to get the tank?? I bought my 46g with stand at Petsmart for over 1/2 off the original price, they had it on sale & I pointed out a couple dings on the stand so they gave me more of a discount. Look on Craigslist as well, some people go to Petco when they have the dollar per gallon sale.

i think ill buy the heater and filter individually so i can get the best set up possible,any links or suggestions for everything i need will be reallhy appreciated..
Amazon, petsolutions.com, drsfostersmith are my faves.

im sayin 55 now but when i get to the store if i see a nice tank between 55 - 75 i could probly go within that size, i know i want a 55 minimum for sure
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #3 
Juicebox

thank you for the reply!!

ive checked amazon and youtube and the fluval gets great reviews.if i do go with a canister filter will i need to be carefull when buying a canopy for my tank,ill need 2 cut out parts for the 2 filter hoses to go into..ot do people not use full covering hoods with canisters??

im also concerned about the flow coming out of the filter,im not sure if ill have any bettas in the tank but if i do is it safe to baffle the outflow somehow?

im also thinking of gettin the bigger fluval,the one for 100 gallons,im thinking if i baffle the flow this filter will be better than the one for 70 gallons,is my line of thinking corret?
Old 02-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
thank you for the reply!!

ive checked amazon and youtube and the fluval gets great reviews.if i do go with a canister filter will i need to be carefull when buying a canopy for my tank,ill need 2 cut out parts for the 2 filter hoses to go into..ot do people not use full covering hoods with canisters?? Most hoods, glass or otherwise, have a plastic strip on the back edge. The glass, which I have on my 46g has a plastic strip that you cut to fit your needs. I originally had an HOB so had cut a section big enough for that so when I switched to the canister I didn't have to anything different. I did however have to add a 2nd heater to maintain my 78-80F temp.

im also concerned about the flow coming out of the filter,im not sure if ill have any bettas in the tank but if i do is it safe to baffle the outflow somehow?
The flow is adjustable. What I've done is raise the output so its slightly above the water line which creates less current & I have the flow a little less than 1/2 on. I have female Bettas in the 46g. I've not actually baffled it but I'd imagine there's a way to do it.

im also thinking of gettin the bigger fluval,the one for 100 gallons,im thinking if i baffle the flow this filter will be better than the one for 70 gallons,is my line of thinking corret?
I would think it works the same as the smaller one, I know it has one more basket than the 306 for more filter media. IMO, you can never have too much filtration plus if you decide to get a bigger tank you're covered. The only thing to keep in mind is having space for the canister, they're pretty good sized & have to be below the tank.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #5 
Juicebox

thanks for the reply,.i think ill go with the fluval100 gallon in case i go 75 or bigger in future..

would there be any point running a hang on back filter on the other side of the tank for a backup,ive seen some people on youtube videos doin this,but i dont really know why they are doin it..

regarding the heater,any ones are best at this size? would 2 heaters be good idea or just 1? also if just 1 should i put it beside the inflow/outflow of the fluval or should i put it on opposite end of the tank??
Old 02-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #6 
waterdog

If you go with a 75, do yourself a favor and get a pre-drilled one and put a sump on it. I have this setup and the ease of care is unequaled!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
thanks for the reply,.i think ill go with the fluval100 gallon in case i go 75 or bigger in future..

would there be any point running a hang on back filter on the other side of the tank for a backup,ive seen some people on youtube videos doin this,but i dont really know why they are doin it..
I think this depends on how much filtration the person needs, some people like to be WAY over filtered, some may have different media in each filter, some like to have a seeded filter for a QT tank when its needed, etc. I think its personal need & choice.

regarding the heater,any ones are best at this size? would 2 heaters be good idea or just 1? also if just 1 should i put it beside the inflow/outflow of the fluval or should i put it on opposite end of the tank??
I have multiple brands of heaters & so far have had no problems with any of them. In my 46g I started with a single Aqueon 150w which worked great with my HOB filter, I had it positioned directly next to the filter. When I switched to the canister filter I had to purchase a 2nd heater which is an Eheim Jager 150w. I have one closer to the intake tube (intake tube is in back left corner of the tank) & the other next to the outflow (outflow is about mid back wall). I have the outflow pointed parallel with the back wall of the tank & the heater is right in that path. My tank stays more evenly heated with the 2 heaters. I was advised to do this by others with more experience than I & its worked to my liking.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #8 
Juicebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
If you go with a 75, do yourself a favor and get a pre-drilled one and put a sump on it. I have this setup and the ease of care is unequaled!
this sump business is all new to me, seems like alot more stuff will be needed for a sump? ill have to check out youtube videos on sumps and figure it all out just in case when i go to buy a 55 they might have a sale on a bigger tank and i go bigger,i want to be prepared for all possibilities..

ill definatly go with 2 150watt heaters to make sure all the tank gets heated,thanks for all the replies :)

do u have any pics of your setup shellicca.would be great to see where your input and output are placed and your heaters also
Old 02-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #9 
shellieca
Reference Team

I have an album with pics of my tanks. Here's a link to the 46g if it works . . . http://www.bettafish.com/album.php?a...ictureid=33564

You can see the outflow & the 2 heaters, the intake is in the back left corner but you can't see it in the pic.