The dechlorinator is designed for fish, and is probably not the cause of his problem.
How do you acclimate him to the new water? You need to acclimate him slowly, so that his system doesn't suffer a shock between the old water and new water.
Here is one way to acclimate him. (There are several variations, but they are all similar in terms of slowly introducing him to the new water):
- Note the temperature of the water.
- Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
- Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp.
- Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min.
- Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
- Let his cup float for about 10 min.
- Remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
- Repeat steps 5-7, until about an hour has passed.
- Gently release him into the tank.