Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #1 
Andbowen

New girl in town

Hello everybody!

I grew up with fish... LOTS of fish. We had freshwater tanks when I was very young, and then my family switched over to a 150+ gallon reef. I eventually went to college with every intention of becoming a marine biologist, but I somehow managed to end up with a business degree instead.

It's been 13 years since I've had an aquarium, but alas, my almost 3-year-old fueled the fire by picking out a little female betta that she named Zoe-fish at petco a few weeks ago while we were getting cat litter. This little girl (the fish, that is) is hilarious. She follows us around, plays with her food, prances in the filter current, and she's even started taking food directly off my finger. I'm in trouble...

I've already acquired another 10 gal (aqueon deluxe kit), which I intend on planting and stocking with 3 panda coreys and a male betta. Then a few days later, a neighbor offered to give us his 55 saltwater setup that he no longer uses. I definitely don't want to get into a SW tank yet, so I would totally appreciate any help I can get for converting this bad boy to a FW. When/if we get it, I'll post a full equipment list so I can get some good advice from you good people.

I've already acquired fish fever and the beginnings of MTS. . I've been researching plants, bettas, rainbows (gertrudae, threadfins, and fork tails) cichlids (all types including angels), rams, corey cats (obsessed already), loaches, and plecos, among others. Of course I'm not going to put all of these guys into a tank together, but I'm narrowing down the options and trying to come up with the perfect mix for a community tank with a lot of color and personality. This is where I could REALLY use some help. Any advice on keeping a few females in a community tank? I've found a lot of conflicting information out there.

Thanks!
Andbowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #2 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

We.l your tanks sound lovely or rather will be lovely :)

Sorry but no one in all history has been able to find a cure to addictedtobettalosis so your out of luck lol. I have no good experience with FW tanks so I will not be much help :o
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #3 
BettaGurl79

Welcome too the Forums ! Hmm As for converting the 55G from SW to FW.. would the 20 part water to 1 part bleach and then 48 hour sunbake work? I'm new to this whole aquarium thing, myself =)

Oh, I wanted to say I have the aqueon deluxe 10 gallon setup. I love it and so does my My VT, Flotsom. Just be aware that the filter is strong. I bought a http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-A1387-Fluval-Pre-Filter-Sponge/dp/B002LL32RY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359991347&sr=8-1&keywords=fluval+filter+sponge . This has protected by Betta's fins from any harm. The current is a bit strong, so I will be making a plastic bottle baffle soon. Can't wait to see more pictures of the tanks !

Last edited by BettaGurl79; 02-04-2013 at 09:27 AM.
BettaGurl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #4 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum

You've got it baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad LOL. If you haven't posted in the salty section of the forum yet about how to convert the tank to freshwater, you might want to start there.

And test you water hardness and ph as a starting point to see what type of fish will thrive in your parameters.

Good luck with all the decision making :) I'm looking forward to your progress.
Ask as many questions as you need to - we're here to help.
Romad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #5 
waterdog

I converted my 75 gallon tank and 35 gallon sump from SW to FW. I used a vinegar/water solution (bleach is fine too).

First, put the tank outside and stick a hose in it and let it run while it overflows. I did this for 20 minutes. Then wipe everything down with the cleaning solution, rinse with fresh water, repeat, then put the hose back in it and let it run for about 10 minutes. Let dry (I put it in the shade to dry as I did not want the direct sun to damage the seals) overnight, then rinse again.

Fill the tank and start the filter and let it run for two days and if you do not smell bleach or vinegar you should now be operating a FW aquarium!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....

Nice to meet you....

Lots of different ways to keep, breed and rear fry successfully-its finding what works for you, your breeders (if you plan to breed) and what you have on hand....

Be sure and post questions in the proper section for best response-We have lots of members ready and willing to help....(We encourage lots of questions so don't hesitate to ask by starting a new thread)

Enjoy your stay....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #7 
Andbowen

Thanks for the welcomes everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....

Nice to meet you....

Lots of different ways to keep, breed and rear fry successfully-its finding what works for you, your breeders (if you plan to breed) and what you have on hand....

Be sure and post questions in the proper section for best response-We have lots of members ready and willing to help....(We encourage lots of questions so don't hesitate to ask by starting a new thread)

Enjoy your stay....
OFL, I've been trying to get through your thread on NPTs. There is so much great information, but so many posts!!!
Andbowen is offline   Reply With Quote