Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #1 
Solaris

Putting Marbles in Tank

So, I have white gravel right now in my tank. I really love the look of marbles. And I wanted to put some in my tank as accent pieces. One half of my tank is a silk plant forest and the other half is open water, so that my Betta can choose where he wants to be. But, the open water half is a little boring colour wise.

Would it be safe to put marbles in? Like the kinds that you can get from the dollar store? Usually the marbles I've seen appear to be made of glass. But, what should I look for to keep my little fish buddy safe?
Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #2 
Elsewhere

I have always kept marbles in my tank! At first it was by accident, but them I thought it looked great and added in more with the stones I use. Before I put them in, though, I soak them overnight and then wash them like there's no tomorrow! But it's worth it and I believe 100% safe. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong)
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #3 
Solaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsewhere View Post
I have always kept marbles in my tank! At first it was by accident, but them I thought it looked great and added in more with the stones I use. Before I put them in, though, I soak them overnight and then wash them like there's no tomorrow! But it's worth it and I believe 100% safe. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong)
Great! I plan on soaking them in boiling water from the kettle too.

By accident? What happened? Did some fall in?
Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:29 PM   #4 
repru04

What I don't like about marbles is they are more difficult than gravel to vacuum and detrius collects in there quite well.
repru04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #5 
Elsewhere

I've never had a gravel vacuuming problem with them, I just find that you have to stick the siphon right to the bottom of the tank and collect the marbles into the siphon and it's fine. But that's just my opinion.
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote