Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Memorials
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #1 
AyalaCookiejar

Unhappy Okami

Okami was one of the three girls I got on the 11th of January. She was a red dragonscale HM. She arrived with a bit of fin damage and I had her in a one gallon QT/temporary tank and was planning on putting her in my future sorority tank.

It took her a day to warm up to her new environment, but she quickly became my favorite girl. She would follow my finger and play "peek a boo" with me behind her plants.

Dinnertime was her favorite time and she jumped out of the water quite often out of excitement. She definitely wasn't shy. However, the fin damage she had developed into slight fin rot, so I started treating her on the Friday before last with AQ salt and she started healing quickly.

Last Thursday, there was a power outage while I was at school for about an hour. When I got home, the temp of the tanks were 2 degrees below normal, but they had probably dropped even lower than that. Okami was acting lethargic... On Friday, I noticed that her scales on her face, head and gills had pineconed, but it hadn't progressed to the rest of her body. I ordered Kanaplex and Metro on Tuesday for my male VT, but it won't be here until next Wednesday. I didn't order it soon enough... All her scales had pineconed yesterday. I treated her with General Cure and tried feeding it to her but she chewed up the pellets and spit them out. I went to sleep, and she was hiding in the back corner of her tank, hardly moving or responding.

I just checked on her this morning with a small flashlight to avoid waking her neighbors up. She is now floating vertically. I am sure she didn't make it... and I wasn't really expecting her to. It's been ten years since I lost a fish, and dropsy is one of the most horrible things I have ever experienced. I will remove her QT tank when the rest of her roommates wake up and give her a proper funeral. I wish I could've done more for her... She was way too young to go.

Swim in Peace, Okami.

AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #2 
Syriiven

You did your best, sweetie. I'm very sorry for her. May she swim happilly under that rainbow bridge.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #3 
bettaisbetter

I am so sorry for your loss of your favorite girl. I lost one of my girls due to dropsy, it's really hard on the owner. At least you tried the best you can. S.I.P. Okami, you can now enjoy mosquito larvas in the waters of the rainbow bridge.
bettaisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #4 
Newbettamommy13

Awww so sorry for your loss, she sounds like she was a very sweet little girl. S.I.P little Okami
Newbettamommy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:42 AM   #5 
Sparrowhawk

Sorry for your loss.

S.I.P Okami
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:07 AM   #6 
SharkyTheBetta

I am really sorry. Dropsy is a terrible disease indeed.
Swim in peace, little Okami.
SharkyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:52 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry for your loss.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote