Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-14-2013, 07:05 AM   #1 
katmandew

Does filter or external noise bother fish?

Yesterday I made a baffle for my filter using bonded filter pad since the bottle baffle didn't work for me, the current was still too strong. After making the baffle I had to look really hard to find any current which may or may not be a good thing but I will have to adjust it I think. I'm in the process of cycling so I don't have a betta yet...counting down the days :)

I was noticing the constant hum from the filter and wondered if that's something that bothers a fish. It's not that the filter is excessively noisy, it's just a hum. I put my ear up to the tank and freaked out hearing how loud it sounded to me!

I have my 5.5 gallon tank sitting on top of an electric fireplace (no I don't use it, just decorative) and it looks great there. This fireplace is over 10 years old and one of the original Dimplex models which is really solid and heavy! It's not like some of the cheap ones that are made now. After putting my ear to the tank (dumb idea really) I questioned my choice of a stand thinking perhaps I should have put a towel or something under it that maybe the sound is from sitting on what I assume is stainless steel.

Any one have any thoughts on whether Bettas are bothered by filter noise or external noises? I doubt that what I hear from the outside is what they hear from the inside but just curious.
katmandew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #2 
Myates

I haven't seen/heard any issues with noises bothering the fish.. they generally become used to noises/vibrations such as the filter.

Sounds like a pretty set up :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #3 
katmandew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
I haven't seen/heard any issues with noises bothering the fish.. they generally become used to noises/vibrations such as the filter.

Sounds like a pretty set up :)
Thank you I kinda like the way it looks :) I guess the fish hear it like background noise just as we do.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #4 
Caii

Post pictures? Sounds like a really nice tank- your betta's very lucky! ^^
Caii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #5 
katmandew

Thanks but I don't have a Betta yet...I'm almost done with cycling and then I will get a special finned friend :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caii View Post
Post pictures? Sounds like a really nice tank- your betta's very lucky! ^^