Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #1 
lexiem

Picture of my dead boy:( any ideas what happened to him?

Hi everyone. Over the last week or two my betta has been feeling sick. His appetite has decreased drastically and he's become very lethargic. He also started wedging himself between the heater and the filter. I moved them apart so he couldn't anymore. He wasn't getting sucked into the filter because I suspected that and turned it off and he still went in there. Since I moved the filter to the other side of the tank, he still insisted on squeezing between the heater and the wall. He grew kind of a pot belly that started turning silver. He already had a bit of what I thought was fin and tail rot. Last night his body kind of looked like it had changed shape.. His tail was a lot higher than his head. Kind of the shape of a high heeled shoe! When I checked on him today he was dead:(. Here's a picture of him when I found him. You can't really tell in the pic but the brown part almost looks like he's covered in dust or mud or something. He wasnt this colour last night! Like I said, his stomach was kind of silver but the rest of him was still blue other than a little black around the edges of his tail and fins. The ammonia and nitrites were a little high but nothing crazy. I can get exact measurements if that would help is jut have to find them. The water has been consistent at 82 degrees. Does anyone know what might have happened to him?:(
Thanks for your help.
Attached Images

lexiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:21 PM   #2 
LadyVictorian

what was the ammonia level exactly?
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:23 PM   #3 
lexiem

lexiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #4 
callistra

Probably started at ammonia poisoning from lack of water changes. From there he may have gotten an infection. Sorry.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brown body, lethargic, loss of appetite, pot belly, strange behaviour