Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #11 
gargleknobs

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I don't mean to be pushy, but when my fish is acting like jesus is and no one seems to be able to put a word to it, it's stressful. Even just "stress" is better than nothing.

As of this morning, his belly was not any greyer than the rest of his body.
I will see if I can contact one of them when I get home today. It's a busy week and I feel guilty that I don't have more time for King right now.

He currently doesn't have any decor. He only has his heater, a thermometer, and the glass marbles on the floor of his bowl.

Edit: His poop was brown, like it usually is.

Last edited by gargleknobs; 02-04-2013 at 09:59 AM.
gargleknobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #12 
gargleknobs

Laughing at my typo "jesus is."
That was just supposed to say "this."
Old 02-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #13 
SharkyTheBetta

I understand exactly how do you feel. I know it's hard, but let's hope things are going to be fine again.

If the poop was brown, means he hasn't internal parasites.
Let's have a look to some other symptoms:

- is he floating normally? can he easily go at the bottom of the tank? can he easily go at the surface to breath air?
- how are his gills? are they swollen or half-opened? how is his breathing? normal or labored?
- are there any fuzzy patches?
- is there a hole (or more) on his head?
- are some scales missing?
- are some red patches on body/fins?
- seen from above is his body looking ok or his scales are raised like a pine cone?
- use a flash light and see if his body isn't cover in a yellow dust like gold.

Sorry for putting so many questions, but I am trying to figure out what is wrong. I am worry about his condition...

As a recommendation, you can use Stress Coat as a water conditioner, this product will help reduce stress. Also, you can add into his conditionated water some indian almond leaves, or in the case you haven't, some dried and clean oak leaves (make sure they are free of pesticides). They mimic the natural bettas' habitat.

I would say you are dealing with a bacterial infection, but I am not an expert so it is better to ask one of them. I know for sure that fin rot by itself could not lead to this condition so fast.

What fish medicine do you have at home?
SharkyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #14 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargleknobs View Post
Thank you for clearing that up for me. I don't mean to be pushy, but when my fish is acting like jesus is and no one seems to be able to put a word to it, it's stressful. Even just "stress" is better than nothing.

As of this morning, his belly was not any greyer than the rest of his body.
I will see if I can contact one of them when I get home today. It's a busy week and I feel guilty that I don't have more time for King right now.

He currently doesn't have any decor. He only has his heater, a thermometer, and the glass marbles on the floor of his bowl.

Edit: His poop was brown, like it usually is.
I still think it could also be stress. I actually am concerned about the water being cloudy... I don't know what would cause that.

A few more things you could do:
1. Check your tap water parameters. You may find that your tap contains ammonia and/or nitrates.
2. Get him some decor. Bettas live in heavily planted areas in the wild. They like cover, and they also like places near the surface to rest so they can easily get to the surface to breathe while they are sleeping. A silk plant or two that it tall enough to reach the water surface would be good.
3. What is his light schedule, by chance? I have seen some get very stressed because of the light being on for too long, especially since he does not have any plants to hide under. They don't have eyelids and can't really sleep if the lights are on, and they should only be on for 8-12 hours a day, and be given the rest of the time to sleep.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #15 
gargleknobs

- is he floating normally? can he easily go at the bottom of the tank? can he easily go at the surface to breath air? He hasn't had any trouble swimming up and down that I've noticed
- how are his gills? are they swollen or half-opened? how is his breathing? normal or labored? His gills look fine, and his breathing is slow, but he doesn't seem to be having trouble doing it
- are there any fuzzy patches? No
- is there a hole (or more) on his head? No
- are some scales missing? No
- are some red patches on body/fins? Not anything other than what he has naturally
- seen from above is his body looking ok or his scales are raised like a pine cone? His scales aren't raised
- use a flash light and see if his body isn't cover in a yellow dust like gold. I was concerned about velvet earlier, as his fins have sort of gold tint in certain spots, but I shone a light on him and there is no gold anywhere else on his body and it doesn't look like dust. My guess was that it was just accompanying his lightening/discoloration otherwise.

I will see about picking up some stress coat as soon as possible.
I saw someone in another thread say that Tetra bettasafe may not be the best water conditioner. Does anyone have any recommendations for a better conditioner?

About the water being cloudy, I've read (of course that doesn't necessarily make it true) that it's part of the nitrate cycle, and if I were doing partial changes rather than 100% changes, it would clear up in a few days so long as the nitrogen cycle was doing it's thing. However, since he is in such a small bowl at the moment and I just do 100% changes, it's usually a signal that I need to change his water. Sometimes 3 days is fine without a water change, and then other days it will cloud up after 2. This has been going on practically since I owned him.

However, all of the stuff I read about it could be misinformed, so I will see if I can pull money together for a test kit. (I'm a college student, and I've already spent almost 90 bucks on this little guy this month)

I had read in numerous places that it was cruel to put decor with a betta in such a small living space because it made them more cramped, so I didn't buy any. However, I've been researching again and looking into decor/plant life for the new 5 gallon tank that I ordered yesterday.

He doesn't really have a strict schedule. The light is off whenever I'm not home/in my bedroom, though some light does come in through the windows. His bowl is behind something on my desk, so the window light doesn't hit him directly.
At night he gets at least 6 hours of darkness when I'm sleeping, and several more hours before it gets light outside at least. His bowl doesn't have a light that shines directly on him, so the light is only "on" when I'm in my room doing something, which might account for as few as 2 hours in a day and as many as 8, depending.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #16 
AyalaCookiejar

Seachem Prime is the best water conditioner I know of AND in neutralizes ammonia for 24-48 hours (good for those with ammonia in their tap).

I cover my tanks with towels at night to keep the light from the windows out. He should have 12-16 hours of darkness each night.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #17 
gargleknobs

Alright, I'll see if I can pick up some of that in the near future, too.

My bowl doesn't have a lid on it, will putting a towel directly over the top of the bowl deprive him of oxygen?
Old 02-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #18 
AyalaCookiejar

How far is the water from the top? Bettas can jump pretty high..

The way I do it is I only cover the side of the tank that is exposed to light from the window. For one of my tanks, it's the right side, for another it's just the front. I don't bother covering my blind boy's tank.

I try to use light cloth or something that isn't too thick because covering the entire bowl could cause the temperature to rise. I'm actually going to create a "curtain" sometime using velcro to attach some light cloth to the front of my tanks.

If the light hits his tank from the top, you could lay cardboard over it. IMO, you don't need to worry too much about suffocating him... Actually, it'd be the last of my worries. Worry more about making sure he's getting sufficient rest and that you aren't over heating the bowl by insulating it. When fish are shipped, they can be in the mail for days tied up in a sealed bag with air trapped in it. The easiest way to suffocate a fish is to damage it's labyrinth organ or restrict access to the water surface. Laying something over the top just at night will not do that... Plus, air can move through fabric.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #19 
gargleknobs

I fill his water right up to the top because otherwise the water doesn't meet the minimum fill line on the heater. However, I have always kept him this way and he has never made an attempt to jump out of his bowl. He's a very relaxed, docile fish.

I will see if I can find something light enough to lay over his tank at night.

He seems to be doing much better since I left him this morning. His fins are still fairly clamped, but he's swimming around his bowl. I tried to feed him, and he eagerly swam up to eat, but he spit all of the food back out. These are the same pellets that he usually eats with no problem.

His fins, on the other hand, look absolutely terrible. The fin rot has definitely progressed, even just since yesterday, despite the salt and the warm water. Half of his tail is just rays, there is about 1/4 of an inch left between his body and the end of what's left of his tail (not including the rays). The tendrils that are left dangling have turned black at the ends and look very unhealthy.

Is there some variety of fin rot that isn't treatable with salt? If so, what can I do to treat it? I'm worried that it will progress into body rot if it doesn't start getting better soon...
Old 02-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #20 
gargleknobs

It also looks like his gills are flaring more than they usually do when he breathes. I just watched a bit of his tail fall off, it's just sort of floating around in the tank now.