Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #21 
gargleknobs

My marimo moss balls finally arrived in the mail today.

I currently just have them in a glass jar. I don't know if it would be beneficial or detrimental to put one or two of them (I have 4) in my beta's bowl considering the fact that he is not well right now. I don't want to suddenly change his environment and stress him out when he's already stressed. I don't know if a live plant in the water would help him at all right now.

Unless advised otherwise, I plan on keeping them separate from King until he's showing strong signs of recovery/his bigger tank arrives.
gargleknobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #22 
AyalaCookiejar

I think I've mentioned it before, but I think you should PM OldFishLady, Sakura8, and Callistra and ask them to look at this thread. At least one of them is likely to have more answers than I...

Some fin rot needs to be treated with meds. However, I'm not sure which ones or what kind of fin rot. I do know that some bacterial infections can cause it and they are usually fast moving.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #23 
AyalaCookiejar

Also, the plant should be QTed anyways. Marimo moss balls grow slowly an don't really help much with ammonia, anyways...
Old 02-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #24 
gargleknobs

Yeah, I didn't imagine they would do much good. I mostly got them for appearance.

Do you have any idea how I would quarantine moss balls? Should I just let them sit in their water for a length of time?
Old 02-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #25 
AyalaCookiejar

I believe you QT plants similar to how you QT fish... In a separate heated container or tank, except you don't put them in dechlorinated water.

Chlorinated water (or straight tap water) is good at killing a lot of the bacteria that can affect the fish. Much of this bacteria is killed by the chlorine/chloramines found in tap water - that is what it is used for, lol. Unfortunately, the chlorine/chloramines can also kill the fish.

Also, many people QT new plants because sometimes tiny pond snails hitch a ride on them and they multiply quickly. Most people who get pond snails have problems getting them out. Some will just remove as many as they can periodically, but there's not really any way you can get rid of all of them once they are in your tank unless you break it down.

I'm unsure if water that hasn't been dechlorinated would kill them or not..
Old 02-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #26 
gargleknobs

Alright, well, I don't have a way to heat the moss balls at the moment, so in the mean time I will just let them soak in tap water. Hopefully I don't encounter any baby snails.

Another question, will the little indicator light that comes on occasionally on King's heater be enough to disturb his sleep?
Old 02-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #27 
callistra

Well the first thing I would make sure if that when you do these water changes you use same temp water - put your bowl thermometer under the running tap and make sure it is the exact same temperature as the bowl it came out of. Refill the bowl, add the conditioner, and then still be careful about acclimating.. I would not use a net and instead cup him (like a plastic solo cup) during water changes. i would still float in the bowl while adding a few tablespoons of new water every 10 minutes for a hour. You could try doing a series of 50% changes in the cup if he responds okay to it.

His fin rot has really progressed it appears.. I would discontinue salt and get an antibiotic like Kanaplex, Triple Sulfa or Furan2.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #28 
gargleknobs

When changing his water, I cup him in the cup that he came in when I bought him . I run the thermometer under the water and make sure that it is the same temperature, add it to the bowl, scoop out a cup of water, stir in the salt, add it to the water and then condition it. I have not, however, floated his cup. I will do that next time.

I changed his water yesterday, it's starting to look very slightly cloudy again. Should I do a full change or a 50% change? I don't want to stress him out anymore than he already is, but I also don't want him living in poor water conditions with fin rot.

I'm about to order some kanaplex, but it may arrive as late as Friday. Should I continue to use the salt until it arrives, or should I just keep him in warm, clean water?
Old 02-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #29 
gargleknobs

I can actually see the little bone-like parts that are his rays. His fins are falling apart fast. His medicine should be here by friday, hopefully sooner.

I hope he makes it that long... His fins are in bad shape.

His pectoral fins are still so clamped that he is struggling to paddle. His body is slightly trembling with how vigorously he is moving them.

Last edited by gargleknobs; 02-04-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:58 AM   #30 
SharkyTheBetta

If the water is cloudy again, I would do a water change, as this is the first indicator that something is wrong with the parameters. It would be great if you could test it. This may be the cause of King's problems. In some countries you can take a sample of water to the pet store and ask for a test. If you can do the test and see that you have ammonia in it, get a water conditioner that neutralize it, as soon as possible. I agree that Seachem Prime would be very good.

When changing his water, make sure you respect all the indications given: same temperature, cup him, float him, very very slow acclimatization and so on. He needs to feel comfortable. You can make a 100% water change with proper acclimatization.

I would keep the salt until Kanaplex arrives. The fin rot progressed very quickly so he needs it, along with clean and warm water.

When it comes to decoration of your bigger tank, make sure you choose some quality products, with no metallic parts inside as these can poison your betta during time.
SharkyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote