Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2013, 02:09 AM   #1 
lilmissj01

Few questions on getting my divided 10g going.

I am about to set up a 10g aquarium. I will be dividing it into 3 sections. My questions are as follows:

1. If I use the water from my cycled 20g long, will it make cycling my 10g easier? If so, how do I go about cycling the 10g? (I used seachem stability to cycle my 20 long)

2.Should I use the Marineland 100 filter that came with my 10g setup? Or should I make sponge filters? If so, how many? One for each section? One on each end of the tank?
lilmissj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #2 
waterdog

1) YES. put in 5 gal of tank water, 5 gal of new water.

2) If you are going to divide small (3 sections?) definately use sponge filters in each section. Eaach section gets filtering without causing a flow problem in some sections.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #3 
tekkguy

Grab a splitter for your air pump, and run all three sponges from one pump if you're going to do that - it'll decrease the flow even more, and keep clutter to a minimum!

You could also divide it into 4 sections - three large ones, and one small one. Then you could put your heater and sponge into the small one, and not have to worry about cluttering up the living areas. You could even paint one end of the tank on all three sides to "hide" the equipment section.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #4 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
You could also divide it into 4 sections - three large ones, and one small one. Then you could put your heater and sponge into the small one, .

I would worry about flow issues doing this, as water does not "circulate" well through dividers. You can get flat sponge filters for each section then partially hide them under the gravel, that way you know each baby is getting the best!
Old 02-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #5 
lilmissj01

How would I make flat sponge filters?
lilmissj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #6 
waterdog

Look in this section, I have a thread called Sponge Filters, How and Why
Old 02-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmissj01 View Post
I am about to set up a 10g aquarium. I will be dividing it into 3 sections. My questions are as follows:

1. If I use the water from my cycled 20g long, will it make cycling my 10g easier? If so, how do I go about cycling the 10g? (I used seachem stability to cycle my 20 long)
Using the water from the cycled tank honestly won't make a big difference. There isn't much beneficial bacteria in the water. However, using substrate, filter media or plants from the cycled tank will, as these things do house BB. :)

For cycling, I would just do the normal fishless method using ammonia. :) Over here, though, we can't get pure ammonia, so I have to do fish-in cycles, which are fine with plenty of seeding, water changes, and Prime. A bit of Stability won't hurt either. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #8 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Using the water from the cycled tank honestly won't make a big difference.
I must respectfully disagree with this one statement. I have started everything from a 30 gal to a 1.5 gallon using water from a cycled tank and using a 2/3 cycled water to 1/3 new water ratio have been able to avoid new tank syndrome in each case. No milky white cloudy water to contend with. Is the tank fully cycled? No, but it jump starts the process enough that I am able to add a fish to the tank immediately with no ill effects.
Again, not starting a debate, just offering an alternative experience!
Old 02-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #9 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
1) YES. put in 5 gal of tank water, 5 gal of new water.

2) If you are going to divide small (3 sections?) definately use sponge filters in each section. Eaach section gets filtering without causing a flow problem in some sections.
Correction!

The substrate(gravel,sand)wll cycle it faster, as that is where the bacteria is most abundant.
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #10 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Using the water from the cycled tank honestly won't make a big difference. There isn't much beneficial bacteria in the water. However, using substrate, filter media or plants from the cycled tank will, as these things do house BB. :)

For cycling, I would just do the normal fishless method using ammonia. :) Over here, though, we can't get pure ammonia, so I have to do fish-in cycles, which are fine with plenty of seeding, water changes, and Prime. A bit of Stability won't hurt either. :)
You can also do a fishless cycle with a piece of raw shrimp or fish - just don't leave it in too long or the ammonia will leap off the scale (been there, done that!).
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote