Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #1 
Demysta

Help me save Itzkadoozie!

Just yesterday I got my new male crowntail, Itzkadoozie, and what I thought was him simply being stressed out from his new environment looks more like he's sick and dying. Today I noticed Itzkadoozie has trouble swimming. It looks like he's being dragged down by something and can't swim properly. He is constantly laying down on plant leaves near the surface of the water and breathes very heavily. My first thought is that perhaps he has ammonia poisoning from poor conditions in the pet store, or that he was injured in some way. Luckily, the 2 gallon bowl I have is wider at the bottom and not that tall, so he is able to get air easily.
Thus far all I've done is given him a 30% water change and some aquarium salt to hopefully help him. Anything else I could try to do to help him? I really don't want to lose him. He's a very unique little guy.

Here's my info:

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 77
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? frozen food (has brine shrimp, bloodworms, and daphnia in it as main ingredients) but he hasn't eaten any
How often do you feed your betta fish? tried feeding him this morning but he refused food

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? performed a 30% today but thats as far as I got.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? nutrafin aqua plus water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? hasn't changed
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? constantly breathing heavily, trouble swimming, very lethargic and refuses food.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? this morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? yes with aquarium salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I just got him so I'm not sure
How old is your fish (approximately)? no idea, probably 4 months?
Demysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #2 
Demysta

Apologize in advance for this double-post, but taking a closer look at him it looks like his scales are raised. No pine-coning, but they are raised. :( Scared that he may have come to the pet store with dropsy or something...

Called the pet store to inform them, and you know what they said? They suggested I come in so they can treat him with BETTAFIX. -____- I don't think they know anything about fish... *sigh*
Old 02-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #3 
Demysta

UPDATE: his breathing problems have become worse. His appearance has not changed at all, colours are still vibrant, scales slightly raised. He also now can't keep his balance and has to lean against things to keep upright.
I lowered the water level and added clean conditioned water with predissolved aquarium salt hoping for a result, but I don't think he's going to make it. *sigh*

MAJOR EDIT: he has pooped and it looks normal, so I'm pretty sure it isn't any internal infection he has... now I'm thinking either SBD or injury.

Last edited by Demysta; 02-03-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

The general rule is to use Aquarium salt for external problems, and use Epsom salt for internal problems.

Since he's having swimming issues, and if it's not too late, the Epsom salt would probably be a better choice than the Aquarium salt. It should be 100% pure magnesium sulfate (no dyes, perfumes or additives).
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #5 
Demysta

Problem is the fact I'm so far removed from everywhere on this damn island and it would be very hard to find a store that carries pure epsom salts. The petstore I went to has never HEARD of them, and said that if I brought my fish in for treatment, it would only receive Bettafix
I'll try to see if I can find any regardless... he honestly looks like he's on his last legs of life. I don't even want to know how they treated him to get to this stage.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

You should be able to get Epsom salt at either a grocery store or a drug store. (Petstores don't usually carry it.)

Epsom salt is used to soak sprains (such as a sprained ankle). So if you can't get it at a grocery or drug store, other places you could try include physical therapists, vet clinics (large and small animal), doctors offices.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #7 
Demysta

Well, I think I found out part of the problem: while giving him a 100% water change I noticed a weird smell in the tank. I checked all the decor and finally the gravel, and turns out the gravel has a VERY strong chemical and paint smell... I've always bought and trusted Marineland's gravel, and this is the first time I've ever had a package contaminated like this... it's a new colour they have, a pink/magenta. I've removed the gravel and plan to take it back to the pet store and see if they have any other natural gravels...

Also, I will look around for the epsom salts. The grocery store nearest me doesn't have it, so I might have to make the 3 hour trip to the next available grocery store. -_____-
Old 02-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

Wow. Hopefully, removing the gravel and giving him a 100% water change will solve the problem. If he's looking somewhat better, but still not happy tomorrow, you may want to do another partial change.

I had a similar problem once. I added a resin decoration that I thought was really pretty. The next day, my betta was lethargic and clamped. I opened the lid, and there was a strong chemical odor.... I immediately did a 100% WC (and removed the decoration). She was still clamped the next day, so I did a partial change. The day after that, she was back to normal. (After that, I started making my own decorations!)
Old 02-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #9 
Demysta

I hope so! I can already see he's moving around a bit, still has an appetite, which is a good sign. I'm hoping all of this is because of the gravel. Going to phone the pet store and inform them of the gravel being contaminated. Would hate to see someone else buy it and have their fish die. D:
Will keep you posted on his condition! Hopefully he'll recover.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:26 AM   #10 
Demysta

His scales have become even more raised and his breathing has become rapid now. I'm almost positive he's going to die now. :( bus services were cancelled today so I couldn't go and get him any Epsom salts... I feel horrible now...