Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2013, 07:49 AM   #1 
louisvillelady

They can't seem to figure it out! Help!

First, a little about me. I have breed several types of fish. Bettas are my favorite. I have breed bettas for years, and thanks to OFL, Learned to think more about the natural behavior of the animal to become more successful at this "hobby". Well, I have come upon a problem that I'm not sure how to get around.

I bought some half giants from Thailand. They are beautiful, especially the male! a Pk HM copper! approx 4 months old. I have also two females, one for color, the other for better fins.

Conditioned, all. Have had the male and one of the females in the breed tank for almost a week now. She has the bars and very eggy. He is a gentle but vigoous chaser! He has split her tail, but all in all has not injured her in the least. I used a split Mcdonalds styro cup for him to nest, and he has it filled! Trouble is, I do not think they know what to do! lol She will occasionally hid under the leaves. He will lay with her! They rest for a while, then chase chase chase! They accidently damage the nest, and occasionally, he will repair it. If she joins him under the nest, all he does is dance, then chase.

I have shown them the other female, no use. I have shown them another male, which is a normal male, and I think the poor thing was gonna have a heart attack! still no change. I do not have an experienced female at the moment. Any suggestions on how to get this thing going? The female is starting to blow her own bubles and I'm afraid she will end up expelling her eggs before the spawn. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

(they are acting more like bonding angels than bettsa! lol)
louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #2 
Myates

Must be virgins.. they can be a pain sometimes to say the least lol.

How much space do they have to swim around in?
How did you condition them?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #3 
louisvillelady

Yes, I do believe they are virgins. I conditioned them with a variety of foods including live, warmer temps, longer days ( turning lights on early, off late) and letting them see each other for short times every day, but not in sight continuously. Usually I do not have an issue with failed spawns. This one has me stumped. The other female is extremely eggy, but somehow got injured during shipment. Was not the fault of shipper. Just one of those crazy things that we can't figure out. She tore a chunk (down to the meat!) out of hert ail and broke her pectoral fin. She is healing nicely, but the option of switching females isn't an option because I want to make sure she is completely healed. She is healing nicely, but no sense forcing it. If it weren't for that, I would tempt trying the other female, and maybe she could figure it out. The other female I have is a normal size female and she isn't experienced anyway. They seem to WANT to spawn, just don't know what to do.lol
Old 02-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #4 
louisvillelady

oh yeah, size of tank. I partitioned half of a 40 gallon. This way, no transfer of the fry. If some of these will be giants, or half giants, I want plenty of room so as not to stunt their growth, nor want to risk losing some in a transfer. I only filled it with approx 8-10 inches deep of water.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

IME 4 month olds may seem anxious to breed but often not mature enough to get it done right. As long as they are still in breeding mode and the female isn't getting beaten up too badly, give them time - as long as it takes.

If you have the patience, separate them for now and let them age a month or two. Then retry them.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #6 
louisvillelady

Ok. I have successfully breed both males and females as young as three months. But I always use one experienced betta with the "virgin". As long as the female has eggs, and the male is nest building, usually they will breed. I have never tried two virgins. He has at least started going back to the nest after a short chase. She will even go under the nest at times, but he never even attempts to wrap. Just flirts. I may leave them a while as they aren't hurting each other in the least. If they don't figure it out in another day or two, Ill just have to pull them. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #7 
inareverie85

Great things take time. :) If the pair isn't working out and the damage on them is getting worrisome, I'd pull them, let them heal, recondition, and try again.
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #8 
louisvillelady

Well they are trying to wrap! lol She finally just started sitting crossways right at his ventrals, and they started wrapping. They are trying hard to figure this thing out! now she is just sitting next to him, but too high in the water, and he has a hard time embracing her. They have only wrapped twice so far and no one collected the eggs. I have faith that they will get it!

Inareverie85, Yes, great things to come! He is a beautiful boy, even if he isn't the brightest.lol Their is almost no damage to speak of! He is a gentle lover.lol She only has two splitts in her tail, and I'm not so sure that wasn't caused from her swimming under the leaves. It will be interesting to see if he turns on her after the spawn because he hasn't been acting like a typical male. They even lay together! NO JOKE! I've spawned alot of bettas, and have never wittnessed behavior like this for a pair. Lets hope we get some out of this, and I will start a spawn log! Either way, they are both beautiful and I love them to death. It has been so much fun watching them!
Old 02-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #9 
Myates

I have males and females that do the same thing.. lay together in the plants, etc. It's fun to see lol. I have a few males gentle like that.. but they never end up impressing the females though >.<

Good luck! I hope they figure it out before she drops/absorbs all her eggs! If not, they have a better chance at it next time!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #10 
louisvillelady

Really? This is the first I've seen this type behavior. Usually they are aggressive, or just ignore the female.(I mean what I have wittnessed) She seems to really like him. Probably helped that she was so very eggy! She was starting to blow her own bubbles, and I was afraid of exactly what you brought up, that she would expell her eggs. First several times they wrapped, they either didn't get it, or he would stun himself! lol poor fella. She was sitting too high in the water for him to grab her. They are doing better now, except I've only seen the female gather eggs, and really can't see if she is eating them, or putting them in the nest. Hopefully, he will see her and follow. I'm afraid to get to close because I don't want to disturb them. On the other hand, I have a platinum male and a royal female, normal size, that are spawning right next to me. I'm sitting a cup of coffee next to the tank and everything, and they are not missing a beat.lol Hoping to get some greens from that spawn. I'm not real impressed with the female of that spawn, but she was ready. (just put them together yesterday. She jumped from her container within an hour!

Hopefully the giant pair will become experienced from this, and can do better next time. There always has to be a first! I do so love this copper male! He is by far the most beautiful fish I have ever owned!