Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #1 
TeacherTeapot

Just a ripped fin?

Hey guys!

This morning I was watching Beau doing his usual "flirt for food" routine when I noticed something a little worrying. His tail, which was full and unharmed yesterday has a fairly long rip in it. The only new item in his tank (which I've removed just in case) is a leaf hammock. The first thing I did when I opened it was remove the wire, so I know that's not the cause.

He's still swimming around the tank normally, and he doesn't seem stressed. He does keep flaring at me, but I think he's still upset with me for leaving him alone all of Saturday and most of yesterday.

TeacherTeapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #2 
BettaGurl79

Looks like it is just a rip. Add some stress coat to the water to help with healing and keep the water clean. His fin will heal up just fine. I also have the hammock and never had worry about my Betta's fin with it.
Do you have a filter? Is it possible his fin could have gotten ripped by getting to close?
BettaGurl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #3 
TeacherTeapot

There is a filter, but I have a plant in front of it to block him getting to the intake. I'm going to go to the store as soon as the snow lets up to get some stress coat and possibly some aquarium salt (just in case). Is there a brand of stress coat you recommend?
Old 02-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #4 
BettaGurl79

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherTeapot View Post
There is a filter, but I have a plant in front of it to block him getting to the intake. I'm going to go to the store as soon as the snow lets up to get some stress coat and possibly some aquarium salt (just in case). Is there a brand of stress coat you recommend?

My store only had one type of Stess Coat so it is the one I bought. Stess coat is pretty much the same thing as water conditioner with the exception of it having aloe in it as well. To Be certain it wasn't the filter I would either buy a small pre-sponge filter to slide over the intake of the filter or make a DIY one out of pantyhose and rubberbands. My Betta loves chilling by the filter. This is what I use, keeps my mind at ease. http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-A1387-Fl...efilter+sponge
BettaGurl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #5 
TeacherTeapot

This is the filter I have, and having taken it apart, the little propeller has a safety around it. I think he might have gotten stuck in the plant and ripped his tail trying to get free.

I did buy some stress coat and added that to his tank, hopefully it helps!