Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #1 
BubbleTrouble

Exclamation Help!!

My fish Finwick had been acting kind of strange over the last couple of days (hiding a lot, not moving much). Now he is laying on his side at the bottom of the bowl and it looks like he is gasping for air. I'm changing the water (i do one 50 percent change and one 100 percent change every week). I was looking over the disease list stickies but I can't ID what he has. He doesn't have any marks or fungus, no fin issues, his eyes aren't bulging. I dont know what has happened!
PLEASE HELP!
What can i do?
I have him in new water right now but it doesn't seem to have made any difference at all. PLEASE if someone knows what this behavior points to please please please let me know and what I can do to help him.

Housing: 2 gallon bowl
What size is your tank? 2 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 74-76
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no but at a constant temp as listed above
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets freeze dried blood worms, Mysis, Daphnia
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets 2 times a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 2 times a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? one 50% and one 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?no

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?looks paler
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?is lathargic, is on his side at the bottom of the bowl, gasping for air 0_0
When did you start noticing the symptoms?the being on his side thing just happened...the lathargy for a week
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no because I don't know what he has
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)?I've had him for about a month and he is still a small guy.

Last edited by BubbleTrouble; 02-04-2013 at 10:16 AM. Reason: additional info
BubbleTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #2 
BubbleTrouble

update: my boyfriend went to petsmart while i stayed with Finwick and he told their manager about our issue. She said it sounds stress related, that we should put him back in his old bowl (when i saw him gasping for air i conditioned same temp water in a smaller critter carrier with lower water so he can get to the surface easier) and that we should not do any water changes for 2 weeks, instead just using the eye dropper to get rid of waste or excess food. She did not recommend medication of any kind.

I am having an issue believing that my fish, on his side at the bottom of the bowl, gasping for air, is just stress. Putting him back in his bowl and not changing the water for two weeks seems to go against every instinct I have for caring for the little guy. It seems a little cruel to make him swim in unclean water for such a long time. D:

I'd really like some feedback. Should I actually try this? Does anyone have any other idea as to what could be going on and what I could do about it?
Old 02-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #3 
youlovegnats

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble! :c
What size is his old bowl?
I doubt him gasping ans laying on his side is only stress related. :/
It could be a number of things. I suggest testing your water parameters, and also the water you put in his tank. Sometimes tap has high PH and ammonia levels.
Does he have a heater in his 2 gal? This also might be an issue.
I have mine at 80-82* F.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #4 
BubbleTrouble

#update. Finwick died. I still do not know what exactly happened. It happened so quickly. D:

Thank you youlovegnats for replying to my post. Whatever happened I clearly did not catch it in time, but your response and attempt to help me is very appreciated.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #5 
youlovegnats

Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry for your loss! :C
It happens a lot though. Fish are fickle when it comes to care. I'm sure he appreciated you for trying though. :)
Best of luck.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #6 
kevinbacon

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm thinking it was probably severe ammonia poisoning; a two gallon would really require more than one 50% and one 100% water change every week. I personally would up your 50% water changes to three weekly, keeping the 100% the same.

Hope you have better luck with your next betta buddy.
kevinbacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hard to breath, lathargic, sick betta