Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #1 
mermaid77

Tetra Safestart in a 5g...? :)

Hi everyone! :)
Before I pack up my little dog for another run to Petco or Petsmart tonight lol, I was hoping to get a little feedback on what everyone thinks about Tetra's Safestart in a 5g tank. I gather the smallest size they sell is a 50ml, which is suitable for tanks up to 15g, but does not state a minimum size. Is it worth a try to help speed up the cycling process?
You see, my tap water, unfortunately, already tests at .25ppm. I do use Prime, and I double dose to be on the safe side and of course the ammonia level still shows up on the tests....a fact that makes ME paranoid lol....The tank is now lightly planted (something I'm very excited about, will post a pic on my other thread ), with one of the plants being Anacharis which is growing nicely and which I assume is my primary helper in keeping my ammonia test results to the .25ppm reading I still get when the tank is due for the next 50% water change I like to do every third day for peace of mind...needless to say I won't relax or feel better til I see that test tube with a pee yellow reading lol...so, what do you guys think, good product or a waste of money?
Also, the product directions state it's safe to add the fish immediately after the product...but I'm a little skeptical about that...has anyone done so safely? I'm wary of any unhealthy spikes and I was thinking of putting him back in his 1.5g for a little while...that's if I go ahead and purchase the product.
mermaid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #2 
Meeples

I used the same size in my 2.5 gallon tank and added my fish in on the same day. I followed the directions and didn't change the water. My fish seemed fine... but if you're worried, you could add it, test the waters until it's cycled, and then add your fish. That's probably the safest thing to do. :)
Meeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #3 
mermaid77

Thanks Meeples, I appreciate the input! I'm gonna give this a go, it does sound like a good product! Yes, I'm always concerned about my betta...he was a little sickly when I purchased him and though he's doing better, I don't think his immune system is very strong as of yet...I need to get him into optimal water conditions soon with as little stress as possible...ie less water changes that I know he dislikes immensely, he thrashes away incessantly in the attempt to be out of his cup...while I slowly acclimate him each time, that can't be good on him :(
On a side note, WOW, the CT on your avatar is stunning!!!
Old 03-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #4 
Meeples

Thanks! His name is /data... heh. I just reread some info on Safestart and the suggest adding a hardy fish to give the bacteria some waste to chow on. Maybe try adding ammonia if you don't want to put your betta in? I'd bet he'd be okay in there though.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #5 
Meeples

Oh, and if I remember correctly you can't change the water for one or two weeks after adding SS.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #6 
kyle89

Safe start is second best to Dr. Tims one and only. I used safe start in a 5 gallon tank an I think I'm still not cycled 3 weeks later
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:59 PM   #7 
Meeples

Ooh, where do you get that?

I think sometimes SS might not work if the bacteria died in the container or something... since it's a live product I wouldn't be surprised if there was extreme batch variation.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #8 
kyle89

One and only can be bought off Dr.Tims website. Its shipped in a climate controlled box. He sold the safe start formula to tetra so his is the better and fresh version
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:58 AM   #9 
mermaid77

Hmmm Dr Tims, thanks, I'll check it out! :) And about Safestart, yes, I believe it has something like a one year shelf life, so one has to be mindful of how close to the expiration date the product might be...and also, I think I will go the safest route and take my fish out as I attempt this regardless of which product I go with...I'll sacrifice a piece of a prawn in there instead...lol
Thanks for the help and suggestions!!! :)))