Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #1 
bettacrazygirl86

No luck :( Help, please?

I've been trying to find a 10 gallon tank with a hood that I could buy relatively soon, hopefully not more than $30. I've found a few good deals on Craigslist, but they're a bit further away than I would like to travel, or have been incredibly slow with replies or not showing me pictures. :( Other than ebay and craigslist, what sites do you guys go on to look for fish tanks? I checked my local thrift shop, but she said they didn't have any fish tanks. I haven't checked GoodWill yet...

I'm also in need of a good heater for a 10 gallon as well as a good filter. Depending on the quality, I may be willing to spend some money on the heater and filter just so I know I won't have to worry about it breaking on me. Any suggestions?

Also, I found an Aqueon heater on Petsmart.com which seemed nice. It had all 5 star reviews, and it wasn't ridiculously priced. Totally affordable and it has a lifetime warranty, so if it does break at any time, I can just get it replaced.

So, what I need to know from you guys is:
  • What online places or even local places could I go to to find used fish tanks? (I'll buy new if all else fails)
  • What good heaters and filters do you recommend? (Watt/Power, please :3)
  • Is the Aqueon brand heater a good one? (It's cheap and has a lifetime warranty...)
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #2 
Fishybitty

Hey there, do you have a walmart near? I bought my 10gallon from there for $29. It is a pretty good one for the price. The filter is quiet and works well. Plus, the cartridges are cheap.

Petsmart has 10gallons for $30 also.

Good luck :)
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #3 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishybitty View Post
Hey there, do you have a walmart near? I bought my 10gallon from there for $29. It is a pretty good one for the price. The filter is quiet and works well. Plus, the cartridges are cheap.

Petsmart has 10gallons for $30 also.

Good luck :)
We do have a Walmart, but the only tanks they have now are crappy LED hooded ones... They don't have the old incandescent ones anymore. I don't really even need the filter. I'll be buying a different one anyway. :( I'd rather not have to pay extra just because the tank has one. I was thinking about just buying a tank and hood separate, but I haven't been able to find a hood ANYWHERE.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #4 
motherpeters

I bought a hood/light combo for my 10g from Petsmart earlier today, and it came with full spectrum bulbs in it. Well worth the money.
motherpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #5 
shushcat

Petsmart has 10 gallons without the hood for cheap, which is what I did as I was in a similar position.

I ended up crafting a top out of the mesh I used to make my dividers plus a lamp with a daylight-balanced bulb, but for a more permanent solution, I was thinking of buying the Aqueon Versa-Top and later a nicer lighting system. Altogether, that should roughly equal $30. Or less if you just make your own top haha (since it seems the versa-top might be a PITA to customize). Then you could light it yourself until you find the money for the hood/setup you really want.

I have an Aqueon heater, and I haven't had any real issue with it. Top Fin is another cheap possibility at Petsmart, but I've found greater temperature fluctuations with it in trying to finagle setting an appropriate temperature. Aqueon is way more stable in making adjustments, I believe.
shushcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #6 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherpeters View Post
I bought a hood/light combo for my 10g from Petsmart earlier today, and it came with full spectrum bulbs in it. Well worth the money.
How much was it? o:

All I really need is a tank and a hood with a cut out for a filter... I'm going to get my own filter from my LFS, as they have the exact one I want. At least, it's what I think I want. Still would like recommendations. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushcat View Post
Petsmart has 10 gallons without the hood for cheap, which is what I did as I was in a similar position.

I ended up crafting a top out of the mesh I used to make my dividers plus a lamp with a daylight-balanced bulb, but for a more permanent solution, I was thinking of buying the Aqueon Versa-Top and later a nicer lighting system. Altogether, that should roughly equal $30. Or less if you just make your own top haha (since it seems the versa-top might be a PITA to customize). Then you could light it yourself until you find the money for the hood/setup you really want.

I have an Aqueon heater, and I haven't had any real issue with it. Top Fin is another cheap possibility at Petsmart, but I've found greater temperature fluctuations with it in trying to finagle setting an appropriate temperature. Aqueon is way more stable in making adjustments, I believe.
I noticed they did have them there for cheap, but I can't find a hood anywhere, I would rather have a hood since my bettas are jumpers. :( They jump for joy when they get excited, or just to keep me out of their tank since my male is super territorial.

I have the Top Fin heaters right now, and I'm not very pleased with them. I can't afford to get new ones at the moment, and they're doing fine for now. Good enough, anyway. My fish are happy and healthy, so I guess that says something. I'm thinking about getting the Aqueon though, for the 10 gallon, once I get it. Although, my fish are in 3 gallons right now. Would 50 watts be too much for a 3 gallon, even though I can adjust it? I'd like to get one now and replace the one heater in my girl's tank, since her heater made her mopey.

Last edited by bettacrazygirl86; 03-21-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:00 PM   #7 
motherpeters

The hood I got was $34.99:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
motherpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #8 
kyle89

Did you ever get ahold of the one in King of Prussia. And try a different Walmart. All of my local Walmarts still have a 10 gallon with a regular hood. Its the 5 gallon that has led
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #9 
shushcat

I used a 25 watt in a 3 gallon and a 50 watt in a 5 gallon with great results. The only thing is it might be a little trickier finding the right setting for a 3 gallon as opposed to 5 or 10 (and you might have greater fluctuations?), but if it's Aqueon it might be easier. But I don't really have extensive experience with heaters beyond finding better results in getting a watt "size" up!
shushcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

Do you have a dump nearby? Our local dump had about 15 fishtanks last time I looked, and I didn't know our city even had 15 fishkeepers. :p
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote